From: Trevor Wright on
I cannot make backups because my Time Machine disk "appears to be
read-only".

In Get Info my access is "custom" (?) and cannot be altered.

This has all been working previously.

Grateful for any suggestions.
--
Trevor Wright
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-06-27 08:05:33 +0100, Trevor Wright said:

> I cannot make backups because my Time Machine disk "appears to be read-only".
>
> In Get Info my access is "custom" (?) and cannot be altered.
>
> This has all been working previously.
>
> Grateful for any suggestions.

First try cleanly ejecting and then reattaching the disk. Something
might be confused, and that might unconfuse it.

If that doesn't help, turn Time Machine off, open Disk Utility. What
does "Write Status" say at the bottom?

I'd then select "Repair Disk", which could take a long time (as in,
many hours) depending on the amount of stuff in the TM disk.
--
Chris

From: Trevor Wright on
In message <88og5mFegcU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris Ridd
<chrisridd(a)mac.com> writes
>On 2010-06-27 08:05:33 +0100, Trevor Wright said:
>
>> I cannot make backups because my Time Machine disk "appears to be read-only".
>> In Get Info my access is "custom" (?) and cannot be altered.
>> This has all been working previously.
>> Grateful for any suggestions.
>
>First try cleanly ejecting and then reattaching the disk. Something
>might be confused, and that might unconfuse it.

Makes no difference.

>If that doesn't help, turn Time Machine off, open Disk Utility. What
>does "Write Status" say at the bottom?

It says Read/Write.

>I'd then select "Repair Disk", which could take a long time (as in,
>many hours) depending on the amount of stuff in the TM disk.

I did this earlier. It says it's OK.

But it still won't work.

Thanks for your interest!
--
Trevor Wright
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:05:33 +0100, Trevor Wright
<newstrap(a)thewrights.uk.com> wrote:

>I cannot make backups because my Time Machine disk "appears to be
>read-only".
>
>In Get Info my access is "custom" (?) and cannot be altered.
>
>This has all been working previously.
>
>Grateful for any suggestions.

Try rebooting.

Try deselecting the drive for Time Machine, then reselecting.

Is your TM disk a local one (USB/firewire, with the backup.backupdb
folder visible on it) or a remote one/with a sparsebundle on it?

If you have a sparsebundle (which is a diskimage like a .dmg), feed
*that* to Disk Utility and run first aid over it, rather than the
parent physical drive.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. -- Dr. Seuss
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:48:06 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>Is your TM disk a local one (USB/firewire, with the backup.backupdb
>folder visible on it) or a remote one/with a sparsebundle on it?
>
>If you have a sparsebundle (which is a diskimage like a .dmg), feed
>*that* to Disk Utility and run first aid over it, rather than the
>parent physical drive.

Note that you can run Disk Warrior against the sparsebundle too, if
you have it.

Finally, at the very worst you can archive off (ie rename) the
..sparsebundle/backup.backupdb folder, and use Time Machine to attach
to the disk again and create a new backup database (assuming there's
enough free disk space).

Once the initial new backup is done, you can later decide if you feel
safe enough to throw away the renamed TM database.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The advantage of a bad memory is that one can enjoy the
same good things for the first time several times. -- Nietzsche

Pages: 1
Prev: A bit of a cleanup...
Next: iOS4 & Calendar apps