From: Paul Cartwright on
I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.
am I missing the desktop manager? menus?
this is basically what I did, and I refreshed the install ( aptitude update)
after adding these:

--
Paul Cartwright
http://usdebtclock.org/

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
> I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
> it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.

Just so you don't feel along, I have the same thing going on, I'm going
to let it set for a day or two and see if the upgrades slow down and/or
we get a fix.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 09:31 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
> I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
> it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.
> am I missing the desktop manager? menus?
> this is basically what I did, and I refreshed the install ( aptitude update)
> after adding these:
>
> > Install desktop-base-trinity, kdebase-trinity, and kdepim-trinity.
> >
> > I use a preferences file such as:
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin: release o=LP-PPA-trinity-trinity-builddeps
> > Pin-Priority: 902
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin: release o=LP-PPA-trinity-trinity
> > Pin-Priority: 901
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=lenny-backports
> > Pin-Priority: 800
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: rdesktop
> > Pin: version 1.6.0-3.1
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
I'm not sure. Our installation was very specific as we do not use KDM
and run inside a VServer. In our case, we set up the preferences and
then installed kde-trinity I believe. We did not install
desktop-base-trinity because we did not want to pull in all the hardwre
interacting portions in the VServer. We copied ~/.kde to ~/.trinity so
that we had a backout path, renamed /usr/bin/startkde and then created a
symbolic link named /usr/bin/startkde to the trinity startkde script. We
then restarted the vserver. That worked pretty cleanly for us although I
believe I needed to do an apt-get -f to bring in all the support
libraries.

You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
fare - John

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
> see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
> fare - John

I tried to get on the mailing list a few times and my email bounced,
also, I get 404 when I try to browse the mailing list archive, I emailed
Tim Pearson but got no reply. !?!

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:17 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
> > see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
> > fare - John
>

> I tried to get on the mailing list a few times and my email bounced,
> also, I get 404 when I try to browse the mailing list archive, I emailed
> Tim Pearson but got no reply. !?!
<snip>

It's possible that part of the system has not yet been recovered. When
he finally resurfaced yesterday, I asked if he had received my emails
and he replied that the company he paid to store them while he was down
mystically lost them before he had restored his email server :-(

I'll pass this along to him as we're still working pretty closely on the
Kontact improvements. Thanks - John