From: felmon on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 04:34:01 -0500, philo wrote:

> The mobo is not necessarily bad
>
> Check your bios settings and see if the resources for the PCI slots are
> automatically assigned or manually assigned.
>
> "auto" usually does the trick

there isn't a place in the BIOS to set the PCI specifically, least not
that I have found. there is something called 'pci latency
timer' (roughly) which I haven't altered. it gives options such as 34,
64, etc.

> btw: Did you try the device in another slot?

yeah, I think I've placed it in just about every slot. there are four.

> I've found that the slot closest to the video card can *sometimes* have
> problems

well, it's there now but an hour ago it was in the slot furthest away.

later I'll try booting up again with the BIOS defaults.

I have never had so much trouble with a mobo.

Felmon
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 15:00:14 -0500, felmon wrote:

> greetings!
>
> I am at a loss. I just bought an Intel dp43bfl mainboard with the
> intention of running Debian and maybe OpenSuse on it. I have an old
> Hauppauge WinTV card (pci) that has done faithful service in all the
> computers I've had since purchasing it. I can vouch the tv card works
> fine - another system, similar kernel 2.6.3x, also Debian (Sid, I
> believe).
>
> after fruitless hrs of futzing, I realized that the card was not being
> detected. (it also failed to detect an old nic card I put in and
> removed.
>
> nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci. of course I have
> shifted the tv card into different slots (except one specific slot (slot
> 0?) because of irrelevant problem with placement of a cable).
>
> the guy at the computer shop said he tested the pci slots and they were
> fine. I believe his test consisted in putting in a pci video card and
> seeing if it 'posted'. I have no idea if this is an adequate test.
>
> he is all Windows and keeps going on about 'drivers' but my
> understanding is that lspci and hwinfo should reveal hardware no matter.
>
> everything else seems to work. I didn't realize it had a broadcom
> networking chipset but seems alright.
>
> I am eager for advice.
>
> Felmon

Are you getting power on the PCI slots? Do you have a card with LEDs on
it, are they lighting up.
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 14:10:27 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2010 15:00:14 -0500, felmon wrote:
>
>> greetings!
>>
>> I am at a loss. I just bought an Intel dp43bfl mainboard with the
>> intention of running Debian and maybe OpenSuse on it. I have an old
>> Hauppauge WinTV card (pci) that has done faithful service in all the
>> computers I've had since purchasing it. I can vouch the tv card works
>> fine - another system, similar kernel 2.6.3x, also Debian (Sid, I
>> believe).
>>
>> after fruitless hrs of futzing, I realized that the card was not being
>> detected. (it also failed to detect an old nic card I put in and
>> removed.
>>
>> nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci. of course I have
>> shifted the tv card into different slots (except one specific slot
>> (slot 0?) because of irrelevant problem with placement of a cable).
>>
>> the guy at the computer shop said he tested the pci slots and they were
>> fine. I believe his test consisted in putting in a pci video card and
>> seeing if it 'posted'. I have no idea if this is an adequate test.
>>
>> he is all Windows and keeps going on about 'drivers' but my
>> understanding is that lspci and hwinfo should reveal hardware no
>> matter.
>>
>> everything else seems to work. I didn't realize it had a broadcom
>> networking chipset but seems alright.
>>
>> I am eager for advice.
>>
>> Felmon
>
> Are you getting power on the PCI slots? Do you have a card with LEDs on
> it, are they lighting up.

One more thought. When the shop tested your board did they do it in your
system or did they do it on the bench. If they used a different power
supply that would explain why it worked for thme and not for you.
From: felmon on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:34:34 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>> Are you getting power on the PCI slots? Do you have a card with LEDs on
>> it, are they lighting up.

there is some variation here. at first I saw no light on in the old nic
card but the techie claimed it lit his card up and last night, for the
first time, I saw the led but I couldn't use the nic card.

I don't care about the card as such, it's just a test. I did try to
modprobe up the appropriate driver. even though the card lit up, lspci
didn't reference it.

> One more thought. When the shop tested your board did they do it in your
> system or did they do it on the bench. If they used a different power
> supply that would explain why it worked for thme and not for you.

they used the power-supply in my system. it is a 500 watt Antec. the
system has one Sata HD, one ID cdrw, one pcie graphics card and, of
course, I'm trying to run the Hauppauge WinTV card (either WinTV-HVR 1600
or my older trusty WinTV card which doesn't give the model name but it's
quite ancient and works fine for my purposes in all other systems I've
had it in (about four).

Felmon
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 13:19:55 -0500, felmon wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:34:34 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>>> Are you getting power on the PCI slots? Do you have a card with LEDs
>>> on it, are they lighting up.
>
> there is some variation here. at first I saw no light on in the old nic
> card but the techie claimed it lit his card up and last night, for the
> first time, I saw the led but I couldn't use the nic card.
>
> I don't care about the card as such, it's just a test. I did try to
> modprobe up the appropriate driver. even though the card lit up, lspci
> didn't reference it.
>
>> One more thought. When the shop tested your board did they do it in
>> your system or did they do it on the bench. If they used a different
>> power supply that would explain why it worked for thme and not for you.
>
> they used the power-supply in my system. it is a 500 watt Antec. the
> system has one Sata HD, one ID cdrw, one pcie graphics card and, of
> course, I'm trying to run the Hauppauge WinTV card (either WinTV-HVR
> 1600 or my older trusty WinTV card which doesn't give the model name but
> it's quite ancient and works fine for my purposes in all other systems
> I've had it in (about four).
>
> Felmon

The variability in the LED is a clue. I think you have a power problem,
it could be at the power connector to the motherboard, it could be the
onboard regulators on the motherboard. It's been a very long time since
I've designed a PCI card so I don't know if the 32 bit PCI bus has both
3.3V and 5V power pins these days. Assuming that it does it's possible
that the graphics card that the computer shop used was using 3.3V and
your cards are using 5V, or maybe vise-versa. If one supply is fine and
the other isn't that would explain why the computer shop got a graphics
card to work and none of your cards work.