From: felmon on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 20:08:09 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>> there is some variation here. at first I saw no light on in the old nic
>> card but the techie claimed it lit his card up and last night, for the
>> first time, I saw the led but I couldn't use the nic card.
>>
>> I don't care about the card as such, it's just a test. I did try to
>> modprobe up the appropriate driver. even though the card lit up, lspci
>> didn't reference it.
>>
>>> One more thought. When the shop tested your board did they do it in
>>> your system or did they do it on the bench. If they used a different
>>> power supply that would explain why it worked for thme and not for
>>> you.
>>
>> they used the power-supply in my system. it is a 500 watt Antec. the
>> system has one Sata HD, one ID cdrw, one pcie graphics card and, of
>> course, I'm trying to run the Hauppauge WinTV card (either WinTV-HVR
>> 1600 or my older trusty WinTV card which doesn't give the model name
>> but it's quite ancient and works fine for my purposes in all other
>> systems I've had it in (about four).
>>
>> Felmon
>
> The variability in the LED is a clue. I think you have a power problem,
> it could be at the power connector to the motherboard, it could be the
> onboard regulators on the motherboard. It's been a very long time since
> I've designed a PCI card so I don't know if the 32 bit PCI bus has both
> 3.3V and 5V power pins these days. Assuming that it does it's possible
> that the graphics card that the computer shop used was using 3.3V and
> your cards are using 5V, or maybe vise-versa. If one supply is fine and
> the other isn't that would explain why the computer shop got a graphics
> card to work and none of your cards work.

this is something to look into and I will double-check the connections. I
am also taking it to the shop tomorrow and let a professional look.

can you clarify the last line? I didn't understand the comment about a
'supply'. assuming you mean 'power supply', I am pretty sure both
technicians (there are two technicians in play here at two shops, the
first where I originally bought the mobo) were using my power supply.

but only 'pretty sure'. I wasn't present and didn't ask. in one case the
guy ran into his workshop and popped out again not too long after so I
figured he just popped a pci graphics card in, booted up and looked for a
charge or something. (he spoke of doing a 'post' on the graphics card
which I found mystifying, and not reassuring.)

I wasn't around at all during the other technician's inspection.

Felmon
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 18:58:47 -0500, felmon wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 20:08:09 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>>> there is some variation here. at first I saw no light on in the old
>>> nic card but the techie claimed it lit his card up and last night, for
>>> the first time, I saw the led but I couldn't use the nic card.
>>>
>>> I don't care about the card as such, it's just a test. I did try to
>>> modprobe up the appropriate driver. even though the card lit up, lspci
>>> didn't reference it.

>>> they used the power-supply in my system. it is a 500 watt Antec. the
>>> system has one Sata HD, one ID cdrw, one pcie graphics card and, of
>>> course, I'm trying to run the Hauppauge WinTV card (either WinTV-HVR
>>> 1600 or my older trusty WinTV card which doesn't give the model name
>>> but it's quite ancient and works fine for my purposes in all other
>>> systems I've had it in (about four).
>>>
>>> Felmon
>>
>> The variability in the LED is a clue. I think you have a power problem,
>> it could be at the power connector to the motherboard, it could be the
>> onboard regulators on the motherboard. It's been a very long time since
>> I've designed a PCI card so I don't know if the 32 bit PCI bus has both
>> 3.3V and 5V power pins these days. Assuming that it does it's possible
>> that the graphics card that the computer shop used was using 3.3V and
>> your cards are using 5V, or maybe vise-versa. If one supply is fine
>> and the other isn't that would explain why the computer shop got a
>> graphics card to work and none of your cards work.
>
> this is something to look into and I will double-check the connections.
> I am also taking it to the shop tomorrow and let a professional look.
>
> can you clarify the last line? I didn't understand the comment about a
> 'supply'. assuming you mean 'power supply', I am pretty sure both
> technicians (there are two technicians in play here at two shops, the
> first where I originally bought the mobo) were using my power supply.
>
> but only 'pretty sure'. I wasn't present and didn't ask. in one case the
> guy ran into his workshop and popped out again not too long after so I
> figured he just popped a pci graphics card in, booted up and looked for
> a charge or something. (he spoke of doing a 'post' on the graphics card
> which I found mystifying, and not reassuring.)
>
> I wasn't around at all during the other technician's inspection.
>
> Felmon

A PCI card has two sets of power pins, 5V and 3.3V. The internals of the
card can use either source, that's a choice the card designer would make
depending on the needs of the chips on the card or if they are using on
card voltage regulators. Those power pins are connected to the power
supply by power planes on the motherboard. The 3.3V and 5V power planes
are connected to different pins on the power connector and ultimately to
different power regulators inside your power supply. It's also possible
that the motherboard itself has voltage regulators that convert one
voltage, for example 12V, to another say 3.3V. The bottom line is that
there are a number of things that could cause you to have problems with
one voltage and not the other,

1) An internal power supply problem, solution would be a new supply.
2) A power connector or power cable problem. The solution might be as
simple as reseating the cable. If there is a problem with the connector,
or the cable you would have to replace the power supply.
3) If there are on board voltage regulators on the motherboard that are
bad the the solution would be to replace the motherboard. I think that
it's unlikely that PCI power goes through on board voltage regulators, it
probably comes directly from the power supply.

The easy test would be to try another power supply if you have one. If
you don't then have the shop try one. You should also bring your PCI
cards along so that they can try the same tests that you did.
From: felmon on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:53:13 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> [...]
> 1) An internal power supply problem, solution would be a new supply. 2)
> A power connector or power cable problem. The solution might be as
> simple as reseating the cable. If there is a problem with the connector,
> or the cable you would have to replace the power supply. 3) If there are
> on board voltage regulators on the motherboard that are bad the the
> solution would be to replace the motherboard. I think that it's unlikely
> that PCI power goes through on board voltage regulators, it probably
> comes directly from the power supply.
>
> The easy test would be to try another power supply if you have one. If
> you don't then have the shop try one. You should also bring your PCI
> cards along so that they can try the same tests that you did.

right now it is out of my hands as I have yielded the rig up to the shop
with one of the pesky cards on board. I was pleased when the techie
called to ask about the password for booting to Linux, indicating he is
no stranger. (there is no Windows on the machine anyway.)

I checked the connectors as best I could but never played with the power-
supply. who knows but the power supply is not terribly old (less than one
yr) but who knows. hopefully the techie will.

thank you for the very illuminating discussion! a model of why one comes
to these 'boards'.

Felmon
From: Robert Komar on
felmon <nemo(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> greetings!
>
> I am at a loss. I just bought an Intel dp43bfl mainboard with the
> intention of running Debian and maybe OpenSuse on it. I have an old
> Hauppauge WinTV card (pci) that has done faithful service in all the
> computers I've had since purchasing it. I can vouch the tv card works
> fine - another system, similar kernel 2.6.3x, also Debian (Sid, I
> believe).

I'm not sure how reliable Intel's webpages are for this, but their
motherboard compatability page doesn't show Linux as being supported
for your board. Maybe it needs special drivers that Linux doesn't
have yet.

I have an Intel DG35EC motherboard that has a working PCI slot under
Linux (which I have used a Hauppauge PVR-150 in), and the compatability
page shows the motherboard has "Limited" support for Linux (which seems
to be the best you can get for Linux). So their page is right in my case.

I don't think this "proves" you need a different board, but I would
consider it if trying to decide to switch. You should probably look
at the compatability page before deciding on a new Intel board, as well.

Cheers,
Rob Komar
From: felmon on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 02:05:02 +0000, Robert Komar wrote:

> I don't think this "proves" you need a different board, but I would
> consider it if trying to decide to switch. You should probably look at
> the compatability page before deciding on a new Intel board, as well.

indeed! I foolishly assumed support in Intel for Linux. the shop had a
couple of MSI boards, pretty sure I've bought that brand in the past, but
no, I thought I'd go numero seguro and buy Intel!

uninformed impulse.

Felmon