From: felmon on
greetings!

I am at a loss. I just bought an Intel dp43bfl mainboard with the
intention of running Debian and maybe OpenSuse on it. I have an old
Hauppauge WinTV card (pci) that has done faithful service in all the
computers I've had since purchasing it. I can vouch the tv card works
fine - another system, similar kernel 2.6.3x, also Debian (Sid, I
believe).

after fruitless hrs of futzing, I realized that the card was not being
detected. (it also failed to detect an old nic card I put in and removed.

nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci. of course I have shifted
the tv card into different slots (except one specific slot (slot 0?)
because of irrelevant problem with placement of a cable).

the guy at the computer shop said he tested the pci slots and they were
fine. I believe his test consisted in putting in a pci video card and
seeing if it 'posted'. I have no idea if this is an adequate test.

he is all Windows and keeps going on about 'drivers' but my understanding
is that lspci and hwinfo should reveal hardware no matter.

everything else seems to work. I didn't realize it had a broadcom
networking chipset but seems alright.

I am eager for advice.

Felmon

From: Thomas Richter on
felmon wrote:

> nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci.

If lspci doesn't show the card, it is broken. I once had a Nova TV from
Hauppauge that showed the same symptoms. Returned it back to the shop,
got a new one - and that worked.

Greetings,
Thomas
From: felmon on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:15:59 +0200, Thomas Richter wrote:

> felmon wrote:
>>
>> nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci.
>
> If lspci doesn't show the card, it is broken. I once had a Nova TV from
> Hauppauge that showed the same symptoms. Returned it back to the shop,
> got a new one - and that worked.
>
> Greetings,
> Thomas

I am skeptical. it works fine in a Lenovo Thinkcentre I have access to
(had it running yesterday fine and I am sure when I put it back in the
Thinkcentre, it will work again.

and it worked fine on the motherboard I am trying to replace.

further a garden-variety (albeit ancient) nic also fails to show up but
I've used that nic for yrs in the other system.

nothing I have (the tv card, the nic - netgear fa311 rev-b1) shows up on
the pci bus.

Felmon

From: Lusotec on
felmon wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:15:59 +0200, Thomas Richter wrote:
>
>> felmon wrote:
>>>
>>> nothing about it shows up in hwinfo or in lspci.
>>
>> If lspci doesn't show the card, it is broken. I once had a Nova TV from
>> Hauppauge that showed the same symptoms. Returned it back to the shop,
>> got a new one - and that worked.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Thomas
>
> I am skeptical. it works fine in a Lenovo Thinkcentre I have access to
> (had it running yesterday fine and I am sure when I put it back in the
> Thinkcentre, it will work again.
>
> and it worked fine on the motherboard I am trying to replace.
>
> further a garden-variety (albeit ancient) nic also fails to show up but
> I've used that nic for yrs in the other system.
>
> nothing I have (the tv card, the nic - netgear fa311 rev-b1) shows up on
> the pci bus.

Maybe there is some incorrect settings in the BIOS. Try loading the
defaults, or safe settings. It can also be the motherboard that has some
problem.

Regards.

From: felmon on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:21:39 +0100, Lusotec wrote:

> felmon wrote:

>>> If lspci doesn't show the card, it is broken. I once had a Nova TV
>>> from Hauppauge that showed the same symptoms. Returned it back to the
>>> shop, got a new one - and that worked.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Thomas
>>
>> I am skeptical. it works fine in a Lenovo Thinkcentre I have access to
>> (had it running yesterday fine and I am sure when I put it back in the
>> Thinkcentre, it will work again.
>>
>> and it worked fine on the motherboard I am trying to replace.
>>
>> further a garden-variety (albeit ancient) nic also fails to show up but
>> I've used that nic for yrs in the other system.
>>
>> nothing I have (the tv card, the nic - netgear fa311 rev-b1) shows up
>> on the pci bus.
>
> Maybe there is some incorrect settings in the BIOS. Try loading the
> defaults, or safe settings. It can also be the motherboard that has some
> problem.
>
> Regards.

no joy.

I tried both 'optimized defaults' and 'custom defaults'.

like I said, I suspected the motherboard but the fellow did that 'post'
test on two or three of the pci slots and was satisfied. I don't know if
such a test is adequate. (bottomline for him is that he won't take the
board back.)

Felmon