From: John Williams on
Antti wrote:

> a binary demo for Linux isnt much interesting or useful - everybody is
> waiting when does PetaLogix finally release the PetaLinux, but so far
> there has been to release date information announced by PetaLogix? Can
> we assume that the actual PetaLinux release date is coming closer also,
> or is PetaLogix still holding back information about possible release
> date?

Antti, a binary demo may not be useful to you, but it's obviously of some value
to the people who've been asking for it, and the numerous people who've
downloaded it in the just last 12 hours.

One reason binary demos are valuable is for people who want a quick evaluation,
a proof of concept, or even just be able to show their boss that indeed Linux on
an FPGA works, and might make sense for their project. They don't want to take
the time to learn how to build it themselves, they just want the "5 minute
demo", and that's what this is about.

One of the goals of PetaLinux, of course, is to enable people to build the
5-minute demo themselves, as well as provide an environment for major FPGA-based
embedded Linux development. This is a lofty goal, which is why it's taking a
while to get it developed and documented to a state where we are happy to
release it.

> I see the 'binary demo' is still based on EDK 8.1 tools - so it can not
> fully support the MicroBlaze version 5, I wonder why hasnt PetaLogix
> used EDK 8.2 tools? To what I know PetaLogix had early access to EDK
> 8.2 (and GNU code?) and those would have been in the position to use
> the latest GCC toolchain.

Yes, we do have early access to the 8.2 tools, and indeed the current demo is
based on 8.1. Why? Because as a small organisation operating out of a
university research group we have limited resources which we must manage
carefully.

We also have paying clients who expect us to deliver what we have promised. If
this means that PetaLinux, and other nice-to-have features that we will be
giving aware free to the community (including you) must sometimes take a
back-seat, then I can make no apologies for that fact.

Regards,

John
From: Antti on

John Williams schrieb:

> Antti wrote:
>
> > a binary demo for Linux isnt much interesting or useful - everybody is
> > waiting when does PetaLogix finally release the PetaLinux, but so far
> > there has been to release date information announced by PetaLogix? Can
> > we assume that the actual PetaLinux release date is coming closer also,
> > or is PetaLogix still holding back information about possible release
> > date?
>
> Antti, a binary demo may not be useful to you, but it's obviously of some value
> to the people who've been asking for it, and the numerous people who've
> downloaded it in the just last 12 hours.
>
> One reason binary demos are valuable is for people who want a quick evaluation,
> a proof of concept, or even just be able to show their boss that indeed Linux on
> an FPGA works, and might make sense for their project. They don't want to take
> the time to learn how to build it themselves, they just want the "5 minute
> demo", and that's what this is about.
>
> One of the goals of PetaLinux, of course, is to enable people to build the
> 5-minute demo themselves, as well as provide an environment for major FPGA-based
> embedded Linux development. This is a lofty goal, which is why it's taking a
> while to get it developed and documented to a state where we are happy to
> release it.
>
> > I see the 'binary demo' is still based on EDK 8.1 tools - so it can not
> > fully support the MicroBlaze version 5, I wonder why hasnt PetaLogix
> > used EDK 8.2 tools? To what I know PetaLogix had early access to EDK
> > 8.2 (and GNU code?) and those would have been in the position to use
> > the latest GCC toolchain.
>
> Yes, we do have early access to the 8.2 tools, and indeed the current demo is
> based on 8.1. Why? Because as a small organisation operating out of a
> university research group we have limited resources which we must manage
> carefully.
>
> We also have paying clients who expect us to deliver what we have promised. If
> this means that PetaLinux, and other nice-to-have features that we will be
> giving aware free to the community (including you) must sometimes take a
> back-seat, then I can make no apologies for that fact.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hi John,

ok, I see while you are busy with paying clients you have no longer
interest to work on mb-uclinux improvement. Good point. That is
possible the reason why Xilinx did choose lynuxworks to deliver the
microblaze 2.6.x port.

For those who want to use GPL tools to compile MicroBlaze 5.0
applications on WinXP platform here is the cygwin compiled MicroBlaze
toolchain from EDK 8.2 release.

http://www.xilant.com/downloads/mb_gnu_8_2.zip

I have only tested it to succesfully compile MicroBlaze u-boot, so the
toolchain is working at least.

Antti Lukats

From: John Williams on

> ok, I see while you are busy with paying clients you have no longer
> interest to work on mb-uclinux improvement. Good point. That is
> possible the reason why Xilinx did choose lynuxworks to deliver the
> microblaze 2.6.x port.

I'm speechless. You win.
From: radarman on
Antti Lukats wrote:
> "John Williams" <john.williams(a)petalogix.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi David,
> >
> > David wrote:
> >
> >> i am looking for any step by step guide to use uclinux on the starter
> >> kit.
> >
> > A Linux-ready reference design for the Spartan3E500 starter kit is
> > available now
> > from PetaLogix:
> >
> > http://www.petalogix.com/news_events/Spartan3E500-ref-design
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > John
> > --
> > Dr John Williams
> > www.PetaLogix.com
> > (p) +61 7 33652185 (f) +61 7 33654999
> >
> > PetaLogix is a trading name of UniQuest Pty Ltd
>
> Thanks Jihn
>
> the 1600 thing was really useless, as you seem to be only one havng those
> s3e-1600
> boards despite the fact that Xilinx website says that 'coming in June'
>
> Antti

Digilent has a 3S1600E board out right now:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=S3E1600&Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable

The best part is, they actually fixed some of the gripes I had about
the previous 3S500E board.

From: Todd Fleming on
Antti,

Is there somewhere I can download the source for this? I'd like to
modify it to drop its xil dependancy:

/cygdrive/f/hw/mbgcc/bin/../lib/gcc/microblaze/3.4.1/../../../../microblaze/bin/ld:
cannot find -lxil

Thanks,
Todd