From: Johnny on
I've backed up the /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 filesystem to a 7 tape DLT unit
using ufsdump 0lucf IP.IP.IP.IP:/dev/rmt/0n /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7

No errors occured and it spanned 3 tapes. So I mount the first tape
and try a ufsrestore on the server the tape drive is attached to
ufsrestore -i /dev/rmt/0
cd /dir/dir/dir
add filename
extract

It asks me to specify the next volume so I use '1' it then asks
for the volume name I use /dev/rmt/0
it mounts volume 1 and then later asks me to specify the next volume
I choose '2' and it errors saying 'wrong volume(1)'

What on earth am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be most grateful!
From: Oscar del Rio on
Johnny wrote:

> ufsrestore -i /dev/rmt/0

That should be
ufsrestore if /dev/rmt/0

> It asks me to specify the next volume so I use '1' it then asks
> for the volume name I use /dev/rmt/0
> it mounts volume 1 and then later asks me to specify the next volume
> I choose '2' and it errors saying 'wrong volume(1)'

man ufsrestore says that you should work from the *last* volume
toward the first.
From: Thomas Schulz on
In article <d3oa3l$ga9$1(a)news.mie>,
Oscar del Rio <delrio(a)mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>Johnny wrote:
>
>> ufsrestore -i /dev/rmt/0
>
>That should be
>ufsrestore if /dev/rmt/0
>
>> It asks me to specify the next volume so I use '1' it then asks
>> for the volume name I use /dev/rmt/0
>> it mounts volume 1 and then later asks me to specify the next volume
>> I choose '2' and it errors saying 'wrong volume(1)'
>
>man ufsrestore says that you should work from the *last* volume
>toward the first.

I believe that working from the last volume toward the first is for
the best efficiency. It should not be required to make it work.
I expect that the reason for the 'wrong volume(1)' error is that the
drive did not switch tapes. Perhaps you need to manually make the
drive use tape 2.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz(a)adi.com
From: Geezer From The Freezer on

Oscar del Rio wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
>
> > ufsrestore -i /dev/rmt/0
>
> That should be
> ufsrestore if /dev/rmt/0
>
> > It asks me to specify the next volume so I use '1' it then asks
> > for the volume name I use /dev/rmt/0
> > it mounts volume 1 and then later asks me to specify the next volume
> > I choose '2' and it errors saying 'wrong volume(1)'
>
> man ufsrestore says that you should work from the *last* volume
> toward the first.

I noticed that - weird! What if a file stems over onto two tapes. Surely
you'd want the first tape first!! I haven't used ufsrestore in years (about 10
years
or so)
From: Thomas Schulz on
In article <425FD7E8.F6435873(a)nomail.no.com>,
Geezer From The Freezer <mail(a)nomail.no.com> wrote:

>Oscar del Rio wrote:
>>
>> Johnny wrote:
>>
>> > ufsrestore -i /dev/rmt/0
>>
>> That should be
>> ufsrestore if /dev/rmt/0
>>
>> > It asks me to specify the next volume so I use '1' it then asks
>> > for the volume name I use /dev/rmt/0
>> > it mounts volume 1 and then later asks me to specify the next volume
>> > I choose '2' and it errors saying 'wrong volume(1)'
>>
>> man ufsrestore says that you should work from the *last* volume
>> toward the first.
>
>I noticed that - weird! What if a file stems over onto two tapes. Surely
>you'd want the first tape first!! I haven't used ufsrestore in years (about 10
>years
>or so)

It would treat a tape with only the last part of a file the same as a tape
without the file at all. It would tell you to switch to the next previous
tape. For tapes after the one containing the requested file, restore can
reject the tape quickly as it has read the table of contents from the first
tape and therefore can tell that the tape is after the one containing the
file. For tapes before the one containing the requested file, restore has
to read the whole tape to find out that the file is not on the tape.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz(a)adi.com
 |  Next  |  Last