From: blendedblood on

hello please can you help me..
ive just had a new windows xp installed..due to the old one being not
genuine..
well i copped all my stuff to an external HD . now i cant open some
things off the external HD with the new windows...this is what i get.
-Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use,
you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or
your proxy settings might not be correct- this is happening to random
pictures , music and video files..
is there a cure..thank you

--
blendedblood
blendedblood's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160948.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Roy Smith on
On 12/4/2009 10:09 AM, blendedblood wrote:
> hello please can you help me..
> ive just had a new windows xp installed..due to the old one being not
> genuine..
> well i copped all my stuff to an external HD . now i cant open some
> things off the external HD with the new windows...this is what i get.
> -Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use,
> you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or
> your proxy settings might not be correct- this is happening to random
> pictures , music and video files..
> is there a cure..thank you

I'm not certain, but it's quite possible that you may need to take
ownership of the files in order to be able to access them as before. If
you don't know how to do this, then read the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3

From: blendedblood on

hello Roy thankyou for the reply the instructions that you past on to me
dont seem to be working . I believe that im following instructions
correctly. but im having no luck. is there by any chance anything else
you can surgest
do you think that it matters that its a external hard drive.