From: Joubini on

Five days ago, my computer was working fine. I didn't install anything
new, or purposely update anything either. Suddenly though, the internet
stopped working after I got a BSOD and the STOP code 0x000000CE.

However, the internet worked fine in safe mode, and it still works fine
in safe mode. In an attempt to fix my computer, I ran several anti-virus
programs, like Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, SmitFraudFix and Avast. Nothing
worked. I tried clearing the Winsock thingy with netsh (I forget exactly
how it worked), to no avail.

As a sidenote, the internet also works fine on a computer we have
downstairs (we use a router, but these two comps are wired directly to
the wall socket). However on this upstairs comp, it says that it's
connected to internet, (while in normal mode) but whenever i open IE or
chrome, it just doesn't load the page, or occasionally says I have no
internet connection. For some reason, FF just doesn't load anymore in
normal mode. It goes to about 9,000 memory usage (as i can see from
taskmngr) and just stops there.
In safe mode, all the browsers work. I've tried clearing temp
files/history/etc. and running iexplore.exe -extoff and firefox
-safe-mode, but ie still doesnt load pages and ff still wont open in
normal mode.

Yesterday, I read on this forum somewhere than uninstalling NIS can
sometimes fix it if the NIS is corrupt. Since that person's situation
was very close to mine, I uninstalled it, but it still doesn't work. I
also tried only enabling the services (from msconfig) that were enabled
during safe mode. but it STILL didn't work.

To top it all off, the last 3 times I entered normal mode, I got more
BSOD's. First two times were 0x0000000A (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and
then the third was the similar 0x000000D1 (I forgot to record the exact
message). Whenever it rebooted, it would say the "recovered from serious
error" thing, with BCCodes and stuff.

Oh yea, and I went into device manager, enabled hidden devices, and
there were no yellow question marks. I also ran verifier and
sigverif.exe. Sigverif came up with 'tifsfit.sys' and 'timntr.sys' in
safe mode...I have yet to run it in normal mode...

Specs:
Windows XP pro
Intel, Pentium 4 dual core
1 gb ram
SP3
2.52 ghz
I've had this comp since 2003, its internet has really never had a
problem until now...

I'm pretty much utterly lost. Any ideas?
(if you need any more information, just ask...)

--
Joubini
Joubini's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160762.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Rich Barry on
Joubini, take a look here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916595

http://www.lancelhoff.com/stop-0x0000000a-error/

From: Joubini on

Thanks for the reply.
@ the 0x000000D1 error, I dl'ed the file from that site and it says
that the file is for Service Pack 2, so it didnt do anything since my
computer is Service Pack 3.
@ the 0x0000000A error, I'll have to rummage around and see where I
wrote the full specifications and name of the driver of the BSOD... Is
there a way I can find out which driver it was that initially caused the
error, short of recausing a BSOD? This site told me to isolate the
driver and roll it back, which I'll attempt once I figure out which one
it is...

From: John John - MVP on
Look in the Event Log, the error may be recorded there. Otherwise you
will have to look in the memory dump (.dmp) file, reading memory dump
files is not for the technically challenged!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging.

These error codes (0xa, 0xd1, 0xce) are all typically caused by faulty
device drivers. 0xa can also be caused by file system filter drivers,
most commonly by AV software.

Using the Verifier utility to test the drivers may help you find the
problem driver:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu8j2FRlLvNQAcRhXNyoA?p=driver+verifier&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-501

John

From: Joubini on

John John - MVP;4714648 Wrote:
> Look in the Event Log, the error may be recorded there. Otherwise you
> will have to look in the memory dump (.dmp) file, reading memory dump
> files is not for the technically challenged!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
> How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for
> debugging.
>
> These error codes (0xa, 0xd1, 0xce) are all typically caused by faulty
> device drivers. 0xa can also be caused by file system filter drivers,
> most commonly by AV software.
>
> Using the Verifier utility to test the drivers may help you find the
> problem driver:
>
> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu8j2FRlLvNQAcRhXNyoA?p=driver+verifier&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-501
>
> Joubini>[/color]

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find the Event log...

As for the Verifier Utility, I also am not sure how to use it. When I
turned it on (standard settings = select all driver), and then rebooted
into normal mode, I repeatedly got BSOD's (0x000000CD). When I rebooted
into safe mode, it said that these drivers had not been verified...
Does this mean that the Verifier utility cant work if I boot into safe
mode? And how can I tell which driver is causing the problem? Do these
extra parameters that the BSOD give specify where the problem is?