From: Luke on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:45:51 +1000, Josh <jknight_64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:47:03 -0500, John H Meyers
><jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 8/9/2010 11:47 PM:
>>
>>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:39:10 +1000, Josh wrote:
>>>
>....snip....
>
>>Anyway, you can use "Bcc:" and you can forget about "To:"
>>and Eudora will take care of the rest, in its usual brilliant fashion.
>
>Well thank you kindly John, that method is even better.

You can also make a nickname, e.g., "My Group", enter a full name,
e.g., Josh's Group", add a bunch of addresses to it, and send to the
nickname which will be in the To: field. All email addys will be
hidden from receipients. What recipients see in the received email's
To: field seems to depend on their ISP or their software. Some see
nothing at all, some see "undisclosed recipients", some see something
else. I find this a very easy way to manage a couple of smallish email
lists.

--
Luke
From: Daniel Jacobson on
In article <e741669tt6h07bh5j2jm2g9o25sn3biven(a)4ax.com>, jknight_64(a)yahoo.com says...

> Is there a way to achieve this? That is, if I send an email to
> someone, I don't want their address to appear in the "to" field.

Try:
1. Use BCC: for the Nickname/list with your E-Mail address in the
TO: field (Pro or Lite)

2. If using Eudora Pro 3.0.1+, you can also use the nickname in the TO:
field as long as you have entered a name on the INFO tab of
the address book.
(ie. Nickname: 'Newsletter',
Name: field on INFO tab: 'News Subscribers'
then the list members will see 'News Subscribers' in the TO: field
on their incoming E-Mail message)

The Nickname and Name on the Info tab CAN be the same if you wish.
Make sure expand nickname is not checked

Note: The Name field on the Info tab has now become the Full Name
field on the Personal tab in Eudora 5.x+.

Try also:
How to Send Mail to Multiple Recipients
with the Address List hidden (Windows)
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/win_bcc.html
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

From: jj on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:51:01 +1000, Josh <jknight_64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Many thanks.

Btw, some ISP's limit the number of recipients you can send to at any
one time. When I switched over to Comcast a few years ago, if I tried
to send to any more than 20 at a time I got rejected as having "Too
many recipients." Then a couple of my other domain relays started
doing it, too. Never had that problem when I was with Earthlink. I
finally had to break my addresses into six or seven groups, just so I
could send out gig or party invitations without the servers belching
back at me.

So...if you have a lot of addresses to BCC, you may have to break up
the list or come up with alternatives.

The next issue was that, depending on which outgoing mail
server/domain I used, a couple of them wouldn't let me send more than
X number of large group e-mails in a given time frame. That was their
way of guarding against outgoing spam. Over time that problem has
pretty much disappeared. For me, at least. Maybe it's because I now
have a track record with the ISPs and domain hosts, so they know I'm
not a spammer. YMMV

JJ

From: John H Meyers on
On 8/10/2010 2:18 PM, Luke wrote:

> You can also make a nickname, e.g., "My Group", enter a full name,
> e.g., Josh's Group", add a bunch of addresses to it, and send to the
> nickname which will be in the To: field. All email addresses will be
> hidden from recipients.

This is a tricky (and risky) feature, present only in Eudora,
and I would be careful to note the following cautions
when either recommending or using it:

If you had not inserted a "full name" into any selected address book entry,
for example, then all of the addresses will be sent to everyone anyway,
regardless of your not seeing them in your original message in your "Out" box.

It is thus very easy to create a new list today, exactly as above,
send a mailing to it, then absent-mindedly do the same
with an old mailing list tomorrow, or with some other program,
not realizing the mistake.

If there is only one address, even in a Eudora address book entry,
then the actual address will again be sent (not that it
reveals any secret to the sole recipient, but it will still
not match your intention, which may have been
to send some alternate text in the "To:" field).

Using a "Bcc:" field for its normal function of hiding recipients
gives you 100% protection against any such accidents.

If you also want to send some chosen text in any omitted "To" field:

To: "My message":; <=== this exact punctuation at the end

To: (My comments) <=== another possibility, test by sending to yourself

From: John H Meyers on
On 8/10/2010 10:10 PM, Daniel Jacobson included a link to:

> How to Send Mail to Multiple Recipients
> with the Address List hidden (Windows)
> http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/win_bcc.html

In the small text below the upper image,
they have mentioned "put something in the field next to Name"
(by which they may have meant "Full Name,"
because there is no "Name" field!)

But when you look at the upper image,
do you see anything filled in there?

If you don't fill in at least one of the "Name" fields,
your entire mailing list will be sent out anyway,
if you specify this address book nickname in "To:" or "Cc:"
so this is a very important point,
deserving of a little more attention.

I would have made sure that the image had that field filled in,
in bright red, as well also making the final "Note" paragraph bright red,
to make sure that this is clearly understood and can't be overlooked.

I might also have put the "Second Way" (normal way) first,
since that's the only way that can never go wrong,
and which works with _all_ mail clients.

You might like to first test any mailing on an "inconspicuous list,"
which might consist of either two email addresses belonging to you,
or any single address listed twice.