From: Josh on
Is there a way to achieve this? That is, if I send an email to
someone, I don't want their address to appear in the "to" field.
From: jj on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:39:10 +1000, Josh <jknight_64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to achieve this? That is, if I send an email to
>someone, I don't want their address to appear in the "to" field.

Send it to a false address and put the person's address in the BCC
field. You can send to multiple people that way, and nobody sees the
rest of the list. Meanwhile, the false "To:" address bounces back as
undeliverable, and you just delete it.

Of course, make sure you DO send to a false address. Or you can send
it "to:" yourself.

JJ

From: Josh on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:47:27 -0700, jj(a)unspameljefe.net wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:39:10 +1000, Josh <jknight_64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to achieve this? That is, if I send an email to
>>someone, I don't want their address to appear in the "to" field.
>
>Send it to a false address and put the person's address in the BCC
>field. You can send to multiple people that way, and nobody sees the
>rest of the list. Meanwhile, the false "To:" address bounces back as
>undeliverable, and you just delete it.
>
>Of course, make sure you DO send to a false address. Or you can send
>it "to:" yourself.
>
>JJ
Many thanks.
From: John H Meyers on
On 8/9/2010 11:47 PM:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:39:10 +1000, Josh wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to achieve this? That is, if I send an email to
>> someone, I don't want their address to appear in the "to" field.

> Send it to a false address and put the person's address in the BCC
> field. You can send to multiple people that way, and nobody sees the
> rest of the list. Meanwhile, the false "To:" address bounces back as
> undeliverable, and you just delete it.
>
> Of course, make sure you DO send to a false address. Or you can send
> it "to:" yourself.

You do not need to put _any_ address in the "To:" field,
if you have instead supplied one or more addresses in "Bcc:"

When there is nothing in the "To:" field,
Eudora will itself create one of those headers which you mention,
which is just a string, more or less just a "comment."

There are obscure and historically archaic reasons behind this:

Some programs _other than_ Eudora require non-empty "To:" headers,
although these can be sent as similar text-only strings,
and the reason for always creating some "To:" header.
even if done automatically for you, by Eudora,
and even if containing only a text string,
is a habit of some very archaic SMTP servers
which would themselves otherwise generate an "Apparently-to:" header,
in which all of your "Bcc:" addresses would be revealed,
because they would think that somehow you (or your email program)
simply forgot the "To:" header!

If you'd like to invent your own wording for the string in "To:"

To: "My comments":; <== that exact punctuation must follow your string

Anyway, you can use "Bcc:" and you can forget about "To:"
and Eudora will take care of the rest, in its usual brilliant fashion.

From: Josh on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:47:03 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 8/9/2010 11:47 PM:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:39:10 +1000, Josh wrote:

>Anyway, you can use "Bcc:" and you can forget about "To:"
>and Eudora will take care of the rest, in its usual brilliant fashion.

Well thank you kindly John, that method is even better.

Josh.