From: Lem on
XPSP3uninstall wrote:
> Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
> but here is the story:
> My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
> to my network and worked fine with SP3
> When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router).
> Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
> wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
> from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
> of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
> firm - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
> understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
> Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter
>

> "XPSP3uninstall" wrote:
>
>> I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
>> suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.
>>
>> How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
>> If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
>> If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?
>>
>> Thanks

I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.

You need to learn a bit about wifi devices

The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.

The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.

The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.

Thus:
1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
must be done).
3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
(and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
(or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: XPSP3uninstall on
I've just got WPC300N - cant wait its gonna work - thanks

From: Lem on
XPSP3uninstall wrote:
> I've just got WPC300N - cant wait its gonna work - thanks
>
> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> XPSP3uninstall wrote:
>>> Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
>>> but here is the story:
>>> My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
>>> to my network and worked fine with SP3
>>> When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router).
>>> Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
>>> wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
>>> from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
>>> of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
>>> firm - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
>>> understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
>>> Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter

>> I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.
>>
>> You need to learn a bit about wifi devices
>>
>> The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.
>>
>> The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
>> theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
>> wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
>> adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.
>>
>> The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
>> is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
>> bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.
>>
>> Thus:
>> 1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
>> 2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
>> capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
>> the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
>> must be done).
>> 3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
>> (and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
>> (or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
>> WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
>> in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
>> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

Yes, the WPC300N should work fine. I missed it on the Linksys website
(probably because Linksys wants to sell the WPC600N instead).

When setting things up, remember that you can use the Linksys utility to
manage the WPC300N (i.e., the software that comes on the CD) or you can
use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to do the job, but you should
not have both of these utilities running at the same time. See Appendix
B of the WPC300N User Guide: "Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration."

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: smlunatick on
On Sep 9, 6:38 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
> XPSP3uninstall wrote:
> > Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
> > but here is the story:
> > My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
> > to my network and worked fine with SP3
> > When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router)..
> > Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
> > wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
> > from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
> > of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
> > firm  - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
> > understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
> > Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter
>
> > "XPSP3uninstall" wrote:
>
> >> I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
> >> suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.
>
> >> How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
> >> If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
> >> If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?
>
> >> Thanks
>
> I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.
>
> You need to learn a bit about wifi devices
>
> The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.
>
> The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
> theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
> wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
> adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.
>
> The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
> is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
> bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.
>
> Thus:
> 1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
> 2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
> capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
> the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
> must be done).
> 3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
> (and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
> (or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
> WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
> in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

Lem,

You need to know that several, if not most, companies outsource the
tech support lines overseas to areas where the labour force works
cheap. It could be that Linksys is now one of those companies.
From: Lem on
smlunatick wrote:

<much snippage>

> On Sep 9, 6:38 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:

>> I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.

> Lem,
>
> You need to know that several, if not most, companies outsource the
> tech support lines overseas to areas where the labour force works
> cheap. It could be that Linksys is now one of those companies.

I realize that of course, but the answers that the OP got just seemed
too far off the wall even for outsourced tech support.

Now that I think more about it, I guess I can see that some
minimally-trained script reader would say that there's no XP sp3 driver
for the WPC11 because the most recent driver for that came out in Feb
2004, which was before *sp2* was released. Similarly, the most recent
driver for the WPC54GX was released in May 2005, before sp3 was
released. Thus, there's no driver for either device that was
*specifically* designated for sp3. Of course, the old drivers work just
fine with sp3, but facts are never a strong point for script readers.

The more peculiar thing is why any Linksys tech support person, even
someone in Asia or the Far East, would recommend purchasing a WPC54GX to
someone who was trying to connect to a WRT160N. That just doesn't make
any sense to me. I don't think Linksys even makes its "SRX" products
anymore.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: