From: Gabor Illo on
2010.06.05. 23:31 keltez�ssel, John Peach �rta:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 23:26:46 +0200
> Jeroen Geilman<jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:
>

>>> Ciao
>>>
>>> Somebody have any idea how can i change "User unknown in virtual
>>> mailbox table" reject code from 450 to 550 (don't send again)
>>>

>> The "unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code" response defaults to 550.
>> If it is not 550 on your system, somebody altered it from the default.
>> (I don't see how an undeliverable address could be anything but a
>> permanent error)
>>
> soft_bounce is set to yes by default (so that you can correct your
> config before putting it into production).

Good point!

Jun 5 21:41:35 mail postfix/smtpd[90964]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
loft6024.serverloft.eu[188.138.56.28]: 550 5.1.1 <legradidavid(a)meid.hu>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;
from=<root(a)loft6024.serverloft.eu> to=<legradidavid(a)meid.hu> proto=ESMTP
helo=<loft6024.serverloft.eu>
Jun 5 21:41:35 mail postfix/smtpd[90975]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
loft6024.serverloft.eu[188.138.56.28]: 550 5.1.1 <legradidavid(a)meid.hu>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;
from=<root(a)loft6024.serverloft.eu> to=<legradidavid(a)meid.hu> proto=ESMTP
helo=<loft6024.serverloft.eu>

Thank you sir!

From: Jeroen Geilman on

> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 23:33:04 +0200
> Jeroen Geilman<jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:

>>> soft_bounce is set to yes by default (so that you can correct your
>>> config before putting it into production).
>>>

>> A REJECT isn't a bounce, is it ? Unless this is documented as such, I
>> don't see the connection.
>>
> As with all of postfix, it is clearly documented:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

I should have known!

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 05:31:17PM -0400, John Peach wrote:
> soft_bounce is set to yes by default (so that you can correct
> your config before putting it into production).

Not so. Granted that this may have been the OP's problem, but
the Postfix default is "no":

$ /usr/sbin/postconf -d soft_bounce
soft_bounce = no

Does some distributor change this default?

From: Michael Tokarev on
06.06.2010 01:31, John Peach wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 23:26:46 +0200
> Jeroen Geilman<jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:
>
>> The "unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code" response defaults to 550.
>> If it is not 550 on your system, somebody altered it from the default.
>> (I don't see how an undeliverable address could be anything but a
>> permanent error)
>
> soft_bounce is set to yes by default (so that you can correct your
> config before putting it into production).

soft_bounce is set to NO by default. Proof: execute
postconf -d soft_bounce
on your system, -- -d shows the default values.

Any distribution that ships with soft_bounce=yes is broken.
Because people often does not pay enough attention and leaves
the default at it, which results in a broken postfix install.
Note that postfix at least tries to work out of the box.

/mjt