From: "GSalisbury" salsburyg at comcast dot on

"Q_Lover" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> gklatv said
>
> > Just got an email from HSBC - after December 10, 2006 there is not
> > going to be DirectConnect any longer, only WebConnect. It's a step
> > backward, in my view.
> >

> This is HSBC's answer to my query about them dropping DirectConnect:

> "Thank you for your recent e-mail to HSBC's Internet Banking
> unit.
>
> This DirectConnect functionality for Quicken is no longer
> available following a recent government mandate requiring a
> higher level of authentication for online banking users. All
> financial institutions are required to have the third level of
> security by December 2006.
>
> Personal Financial Software is not able to connect to
> systems that have a 2 page login. To update your accounts
> in Money, you can download a file from our website to
> your computer and then import this file into Money. You
> can download a file from this option under the 'View
> Accounts' menu on the left.
>
> For more information of when Quicken will accommodate
> the new log in process, please contact Intuit for additional
> assistance. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
> cause."
>
> Is this true? They seem to imply DirectConnect's death is coming soon.
> Or perhaps they are implementing the govermenments "higher level of
> authentication" in a manner which excludes DirectConnect.
>
> Bummer. WebConnect is not the end of the world; it is a step backwards
> IMHO.

Hmmm
They may be blowing smoke.
I have an HSBC Savings Account and Credit Card.
The SA direct connects but the CC doesn't (I don't use it very often because
of that).
The smoke...
I have accounts at BOA (I have some of the MBNA CC issues but that's another
story).
BOA has a two step login scheme and my Q06Dlx direct connects without
difficulty.
In fact BOA changed from one step to the two step method and, as I recall,
Qkn was not greatly disturbed.
So it can be done.
So HSBC is [apparently] taking an easier way out.
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere if I get greatly stressed over the web
connect.
Geo.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3