From: Unknown on
Knowledge base.

From: Mike Row Soft on
I followed your advice. Now it gets hung up in Windows shutting down. BTW,
there is no Show Update History on the left.

From: Unknown on
1st item listed is 'review update history'.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Did you recently have occasion to reinstall WinXP for some reason?

From: Mike Row Soft on
SP3, Norton AV totally updated. I installed Norton myself. No antispyware,
no firewall. XP was installed on a new hard drive 2 months ago.

PLEASE NOTE THAT EVERYTHING WAS RUNNING SMOOTHLY BEFORE THIS AUTOMATIC
WINDOWS UPDATE.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>
> Did you recently have occasion to reinstall WinXP for some reason?
>

> Mike Row Soft wrote:
> > I followed your advice. Now it gets hung up in Windows shutting down.
> > BTW,
> > there is no Show Update History on the left.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >>
> >> See if you can update manually: Open Internet Explorer (only) to
> >> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
> >> Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB982381). If a Root
> >> Certificates
> >> update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on the
> >> left-hand
> >> side of the scan results window, install it to take full advantage of
> >> IE's
> >> enhanced security.
> >>
> >> Tip: Click on Show Update History link in left-hand menu to see which, if
> >> any, updates failed to install. Post the KB number of the update(s) and
> >> the associate error number in a reply to this post.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .
>
> .