From: RA Brown on
Wunna Ko wrote:

> It won't be for remote desktop.
>
> Things like google doc, web office from Ulteo depends on connection. I
> didn't mean for it.
>
> My idea is to replace Downloading. When the we publish new versions, the
> users will no longer need to download. We will put it in sync folder and the
> user can start using it. It will save the users from installing it and we
> from crushing the server (as we faced during 3.1 publish).
>
> I am now testing it among my friends. I will let you guys know the result in
> near future.
>
> Regards,

I am confused now. You either download it or use it on line.

Andy

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 01/14/2010 06:13 PM, Wunna Ko wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza(a)openoffice.org>wrote:
>
>> there are many remote desktop applications that provide this service. There
>> is even for the Iphone.
>> http://alwaysonpc.com/
>> Also
>> http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/ooo
>

> It won't be for remote desktop.
>
> Things like google doc, web office from Ulteo depends on connection. I
> didn't mean for it.
>
> My idea is to replace Downloading. When the we publish new versions, the
> users will no longer need to download. We will put it in sync folder and the
> user can start using it. It will save the users from installing it and we
> from crushing the server (as we faced during 3.1 publish).

Ah, do you mean updating using something like rsync so that only the
updated files are downloaded, rather than having to download the entire
package each time? If not rsync, can you please explain in more detail?

From: Wunna Ko on
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM, NoOp <glgxg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 01/14/2010 06:13 PM, Wunna Ko wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza(a)openoffice.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> there are many remote desktop applications that provide this service.
> There
> >> is even for the Iphone.
> >> http://alwaysonpc.com/
> >> Also
> >> http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/ooo
> >

> > It won't be for remote desktop.
> >
> > Things like google doc, web office from Ulteo depends on connection. I
> > didn't mean for it.
> >
> > My idea is to replace Downloading. When the we publish new versions, the
> > users will no longer need to download. We will put it in sync folder and
> the
> > user can start using it. It will save the users from installing it and we
> > from crushing the server (as we faced during 3.1 publish).
>
> Ah, do you mean updating using something like rsync so that only the
> updated files are downloaded, rather than having to download the entire
> package each time? If not rsync, can you please explain in more detail?

Exactly. Even the very first download, the users will necessary to download
very small installer which will let the user's computer sync with the
server. In that sense, even unreliable internet (connection slow, up & down)
will be useful.

The installer size (more than 100 MB) makes the user from undeveloped
counties (like Burma, Myanmar) very difficult to download. It took me about
10 hrs & more than 5 attempts (with *unreliable* Broadband connection) to
download for my first use of OpenOffice (version 2.3). Without Free Download
Manager, it was almost impossible.

With syncing, the user won't need to care about the downloading for the
first time & every update versions.

Of course, the user still need internet connection & it wasn't meant to
replace normal CD and/or installer distribution. Just one more option for
the users to choose.

--
Wunna Ko
Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!
From: Kay Ramme on
.... a good while ago I did play with providing OOo via Java WebStart :-)

May be that would be an option too?

Kay

From: "Bruce Martin" on
Dear Kay and others:

Mobile apps are convenient, but that very convenience has a downside. It may
cause such users to lack enough commitment to download and use the real
thing. This technical approach may provide too much convenience for this
reason - such users may never download and use Oo installed or go anywhere
further than that very minimal use.

In a workplace of any size (especially more than about 7 or 8 employees),
the computer environment must be closely supervised against improper use.

As a result the Sys Admin and/or the management will often want to restrict
the use of their computers to as simple and little as they possibly can, and
often disable the employees' ability to even use outside media, be it memory
sticks or other USB devices, discs etc. They may also restrict the internet
access to only a few websites relevant to their immediate business.

Email is also snooped at, and no law about having to have the employee's
consent has any real effect, as such signed consent is simply made
obligatory from day one as a condition of employment.

To me this is the worst kind of business leadership, as the employer does
not foster a truly voluntary collaborative workplace and does not support
innovation or much self-improvement.

As a jobseeker, I want to see an employer who shows an attitude of true
leadership. If I see that he is already using Oo, that to me is one good
sign.

If not, I will mention it to him and briefly explain the basic benefits and
capabilities, and look to see what the reaction (including body language and
tone of voice) is.

I will also attempt to schmooze what employees I can for similar attitudes
and degree of existing proactivity, look around the site to assess the
degree of cleanliness and order in relation to the type of business and
site. (I have worked in some sites that were filthy industries, but in such
a case, are they as clean and orderly as would be practical in light of the
type of operation? Is the office clean and orderly?)

Thus promoting any product or service is more a human/interpersonal issue
than technical, but the technical (and voluntary alignment to it) also has
to be adequate.

As a Toastmaster, I have given a number of speeches involving Oo, one to
compare it at a basic level with Microsoft office, and a number of others
using Impress with a DLP projector and a presenter to remote control (The
one I bought was made by Targus, works by radio, not infra-red, thus
avoiding the need for the speaker to move in positions that might lose eye
contact with his audience.) I have also given a speech about the use of this
using Impress.

Cheers all,

Bruce Martin
(Canada)

jonathon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:06, Wunna Ko wrote:
>
>> I am wondering that providing openoffice through the internet. My idea is
that
>> - OO will be distributed to the user through syncing, such as dropbox,
ubuntu one, etc.
>> - The user will not be necessary to install it.
>> - They just click on it and use it. (like USB portable applications)
>
> How is this different from the current online versions of OOo?
>
> jonathon

> For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

02:35:00