From: Kay Ramme on
Hi Bruce,

Bruce Martin wrote:
> Dear Kay and others:
>
> Mobile apps are convenient, but that very convenience has a downside. It may
> cause such users to lack enough commitment to download and use the real
> thing. This technical approach may provide too much convenience for this
> reason - such users may never download and use Oo installed or go anywhere
> further than that very minimal use.
Which basically is OK. At least I don't have the demand that everybody
becomes a power user :-)

> In a workplace of any size (especially more than about 7 or 8 employees),
> the computer environment must be closely supervised against improper use.
More or less agreed, though I believe that many / most users of OOo are
just consumers working in SOHO environments, without any supervisor or
professional taking care of proper software deployment, administration etc.

> As a result the Sys Admin and/or the management will often want to restrict
> the use of their computers to as simple and little as they possibly can, and
> often disable the employees' ability to even use outside media, be it memory
> sticks or other USB devices, discs etc. They may also restrict the internet
> access to only a few websites relevant to their immediate business.
This may be typical.

> Email is also snooped at, and no law about having to have the employee's
> consent has any real effect, as such signed consent is simply made
> obligatory from day one as a condition of employment.
>
> To me this is the worst kind of business leadership, as the employer does
> not foster a truly voluntary collaborative workplace and does not support
> innovation or much self-improvement.
Agreed.

> As a jobseeker, I want to see an employer who shows an attitude of true
> leadership. If I see that he is already using Oo, that to me is one good
> sign.
Agreed again.

> If not, I will mention it to him and briefly explain the basic benefits and
> capabilities, and look to see what the reaction (including body language and
> tone of voice) is.
Good practice :-)

> I will also attempt to schmooze what employees I can for similar attitudes
> and degree of existing proactivity, look around the site to assess the
> degree of cleanliness and order in relation to the type of business and
> site. (I have worked in some sites that were filthy industries, but in such
> a case, are they as clean and orderly as would be practical in light of the
> type of operation? Is the office clean and orderly?)
>
> Thus promoting any product or service is more a human/interpersonal issue
> than technical, but the technical (and voluntary alignment to it) also has
> to be adequate.
>
> As a Toastmaster, I have given a number of speeches involving Oo, one to
> compare it at a basic level with Microsoft office, and a number of others
> using Impress with a DLP projector and a presenter to remote control (The
> one I bought was made by Targus, works by radio, not infra-red, thus
> avoiding the need for the speaker to move in positions that might lose eye
> contact with his audience.) I have also given a speech about the use of this
> using Impress.
Sounds good.

I think the original author wondered how we could provide access to OOo
even simpler than today, which mostly means downloading and installing
it. Some people do have problems downloading large files, others may not
even know how to or are not allowed to install software.

Ideally a user / consumer would just click a "link" on OOo to make it
available on their PC.

> Cheers all,
>
> Bruce Martin
> (Canada)

Best

Kay

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Wm Stewart on

The best way to put OO on the net without having to change a line of code
is to project the entire interface with a thin-client like FreeNX. NX
compression is so efficient that you can "lengthen the monitor cord" across
the world over the Internet now.

Full disclosure: I started http://Eseri.com/ to do this. We bundle a
complete FOSS organization on Ubuntu desktops and make it available over
the net. The idea is to get a full FOSS solution out there to non FOSS
people that would use it if it were made incredibly easy and complete.

From: Alexandro Colorado on
I do wonder if we should list this solutions somewhere, there are
plenty of these solutions out there in the market and it seems this
has becomes a FAQ.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Espa&ntilde;ol

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 01/27/2010 05:02 AM, Wm Stewart wrote:

> The best way to put OO on the net without having to change a line of code
> is to project the entire interface with a thin-client like FreeNX. NX
> compression is so efficient that you can "lengthen the monitor cord" across
> the world over the Internet now.
>
> Full disclosure: I started http://Eseri.com/ to do this. We bundle a
> complete FOSS organization on Ubuntu desktops and make it available over
> the net. The idea is to get a full FOSS solution out there to non FOSS
> people that would use it if it were made incredibly easy and complete.

Now that's just... cool! :-)

Hard to imagine that you've been doing this for nearly 4 years now &
this is the first I've heard of Eseri. I use NoMachine's NX daily & can
vouch for the 'NX client/server.

However, I think that if you read the thread, Wunna Ko was/is looking
for something similar to an rsysnc-type application whereby OOo users
needn't download the full OOo package for each "update". Instead,
provide some form of an rsync utility that can be used to only download
& update the changed files between version x and version y.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Jacqueline McNally on
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza(a)openoffice.org> wrote:
> I do wonder if we should list this solutions somewhere, there are
> plenty of these solutions out there in the market and it seems this
> has becomes a FAQ.

I've found http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Solutions
But as I explained on the dev(a)distribution list yesterday, it is not
a place that potential users are likely to look.

Regards
Jacqueline

Your online PC accessible anywhere, from anything
GoPC http://www.gopc.net

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org