From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:21:01 -0700, itfreak
<itfreak(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I bought Windows 7 and wanted to use my old Windows XP CD to install a new
> system at a friends computer. He lost his install CD. Do I have to deregister
> my licence? The problem is that my pc crashed due to viruses. So do I have to
> install it first on my computer, deregister and then install it on the other
> pc?

Three points:

1. You are talking about registration, but what you really mean is
"activation." Registration is completely optional and is used by
Microsoft for marketing purposes. Activation, not registration, is
what is mandatory.

2. There is no such thing as deregistration, nor is there any such
thing as deactivation. All you need to do is take Windows XP off the
computer it's on (normally by formatting it, or installing another
operating system over the top of it).

3. If you copy of XP is a retail one, you can do what you want. But if
it's an OEM copy you can not. The biggest disadvantage of an OEM copy
is that its license ties it permanently to the first computer its
installed on. It can never be moved to another, not even if the
original one dies or is stolen. Moreover, many OEM copies are
BIOS-locked to the computer they came with and won't install on
another one.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Alias on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:21:01 -0700, itfreak
> <itfreak(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I bought Windows 7 and wanted to use my old Windows XP CD to install a new
>> system at a friends computer. He lost his install CD. Do I have to deregister
>> my licence? The problem is that my pc crashed due to viruses. So do I have to
>> install it first on my computer, deregister and then install it on the other
>> pc?
>

> Three points:
>
> 1. You are talking about registration, but what you really mean is
> "activation." Registration is completely optional and is used by
> Microsoft for marketing purposes. Activation, not registration, is
> what is mandatory.
>
> 2. There is no such thing as deregistration, nor is there any such
> thing as deactivation. All you need to do is take Windows XP off the
> computer it's on (normally by formatting it, or installing another
> operating system over the top of it).
>
> 3. If you copy of XP is a retail one, you can do what you want. But if
> it's an OEM copy you can not. The biggest disadvantage of an OEM copy
> is that its license ties it permanently to the first computer its
> installed on. It can never be moved to another, not even if the
> original one dies or is stolen. Moreover, many OEM copies are
> BIOS-locked to the computer they came with and won't install on
> another one.

Correction: MS doesn't want you to move a generic OEM XP to another
computer but you most certainly *can* if it's been over 120 days since
the last activation or hardware change. What you say about branded OEM
copies is true but not generic OEM copies.

--
Alias
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Would you like your friend to re-use your condoms, too?

From: Doum on

????... I fail to see the similarities, bad example!

From: HeyBub on
itfreak wrote:
> I bought Windows 7 and wanted to use my old Windows XP CD to install
> a new system at a friends computer. He lost his install CD. Do I have
> to deregister my licence? The problem is that my pc crashed due to
> viruses. So do I have to install it first on my computer, deregister
> and then install it on the other pc?

Frankly, your CD may not even WORK on his computer.

Your friend should get a replacement copy of his own CD, either from the
computer manufacturer if an OEM version or from Microsoft if he bought XP at
retail.