From: s on
We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
converter like
http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn-AT-MC102XL-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B00006RVVT/ref=sr_1_1/191-8057023-3285158?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
which is used as a network printer.

Present connection

Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
ethernet cables for connecting to the network)

Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?

Proposed connection.

Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
different machines.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Physically you can connect a switch and other devices. However it depends if
the Fiber on its other side is connecting correctly to a server/network that
can provide services to other devices.
In other word it is an issue that has to be addressed to an IT person who is
in charge of the whole network.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).