From: ton on
Hi,

In VS2008 I've developed a Web app. It is published on a server and it
works. But since I ve installed several components on my server I'm not sure
what I need exactly . So I thought. Use Virtal PC (2007) to add a 2003
server and then publish or install whatever my website to it.

But how can I publish on a disk of my virtual pc (server). The only shared
drive is on the real pc.
The next question is how can I use this webserver from another pc to test
the application.

What should I do. This isnt't a strange requirement, of is virtual pc just
an island where no other (virtual or host) pc can get at it.

Please help

Ton

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"ton" <ton(a)nospam.nl> wrote in message

> But how can I publish on a disk of my virtual PC (server).

Exactly the same way you would publich a website to any other machine
running a webserver - there is no difference...

> The only shared drive is on the real PC.

You don't need a shared drive to host a website. And your virtual machine is
a real machine, just like your physical machine. There really is no
difference as far as the software (both OS and app) running on it is
concerned.

> The next question is how can I use this webserver from another PC to test
> the application.

See above.

> What should I do.

What you should do is to consider your virtual machine as identical in every
way to a physical machine. If you wanted to do this on a physical machine as
opposed to a virtual machine, how would you do it? However you would do it,
the answer is the same for a virtual machine...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: ton on
I'm sorry but I cannot see this virtual pc form my develop pc (which host
the virtual pc).
I can ping from my host to the server but there is no answer.

The other way round does function, and the database server can be ping-ed as
well

thanx

ton

From: ton on
forget the last answer, this is what is happening:

I'm sorry but I cannot see this virtual pc form my develop pc (which host
the virtual pc).
I can ping from my host to the server but there is no answer.

The other way round does NOT function either, BUT the database server (a
different real pc) can be ping-ed

thanx

ton

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:17:57 +0100, "ton" <ton(a)nospam.nl> wrote:

>forget the last answer, this is what is happening:
>
>I'm sorry but I cannot see this virtual pc form my develop pc (which host
>the virtual pc).
>I can ping from my host to the server but there is no answer.
>
>The other way round does NOT function either, BUT the database server (a
>different real pc) can be ping-ed
>
>thanx
>
>ton

Have you opened the correct ports on your host firewall?

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP