From: Mike S on
<snip>
> I'm in the middle of securely disposing of a failed
> hard drive (the failure of which condemns to death
> a truly old machine that was reduced to performing
> a few chores in the basement). I have the platters,
> have read that any commonly used metal reaches
> its Curie temperature and demagnetizes at heats
> readily reached with propane torches or in the
> depths of a briquette barbecue, and plan to roast
> the platters in such a fire I will soon have access
> to. Let CTU get something out of _them_!

LOL. What is CTU?
From: John John - MVP on
Mike S wrote:
> On 6/17/2010 11:10 AM, Db wrote:
>> there are utilities that
>> wipe the disk of deleted files.
>>
>> however, there are differing
>> opinions whether wiping
>> deleted files with something
>> like military encryption
>> is effective against
>> hard drive forensics.
>>
>> my opinion and a old friend
>> who is an m.i.t professor
>> is that the only sure way that
>> the contents on the disk are
>> not retrievable is to toss the
>> hard drive into a volcano or
>> the middle of ocean in the
>> middle of the night.
>
> I saw a show on television that mentioned some very powerful forensic
> software that could find the last two (that's right 2) sets of files on
> a hdd that had been overwritten. That is you save file A, then you
> overwrite it with file B. Then you overwrite that with file C. They
> could recover B and A with extremely high rates of accuracy!!!
>
> But most people do not have access to that software.

Most people don't have access to that software because it just plain
doesn't exist, it's nothing but BS!

John
From: Mike S on
On 6/18/2010 4:39 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
> Mike S wrote:
>> On 6/17/2010 11:10 AM, Db wrote:
>>> there are utilities that
>>> wipe the disk of deleted files.
>>>
>>> however, there are differing
>>> opinions whether wiping
>>> deleted files with something
>>> like military encryption
>>> is effective against
>>> hard drive forensics.
>>>
>>> my opinion and a old friend
>>> who is an m.i.t professor
>>> is that the only sure way that
>>> the contents on the disk are
>>> not retrievable is to toss the
>>> hard drive into a volcano or
>>> the middle of ocean in the
>>> middle of the night.
>>
>> I saw a show on television that mentioned some very powerful forensic
>> software that could find the last two (that's right 2) sets of files
>> on a hdd that had been overwritten. That is you save file A, then you
>> overwrite it with file B. Then you overwrite that with file C. They
>> could recover B and A with extremely high rates of accuracy!!!
>>
>> But most people do not have access to that software.
>
> Most people don't have access to that software because it just plain
> doesn't exist, it's nothing but BS!
>
> John

And you know this how?
From: Anthony Buckland on

"Mike S" <mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> I'm in the middle of securely disposing of a failed
>> hard drive (the failure of which condemns to death
>> a truly old machine that was reduced to performing
>> a few chores in the basement). I have the platters,
>> have read that any commonly used metal reaches
>> its Curie temperature and demagnetizes at heats
>> readily reached with propane torches or in the
>> depths of a briquette barbecue, and plan to roast
>> the platters in such a fire I will soon have access
>> to. Let CTU get something out of _them_!
>
> LOL. What is CTU?

In the recently deceased TV show "24", the fictional
CTU, the CounterTerrorism Unit, was frequently faced
with computing resources (usually laptop or desktop
hard drives) which had been intentionally or occasionally
accidentally damaged before being captured from various
terrorist organizations. Their software and particularly
their personnel were legendary in being able to recover
just enough data to carry on a complex confrontation
with the baddies, but usually not close to enough data
to achieve a decisive victory. They tended to do better
as the end of each season approached, particularly
once the always-present mole trying to advance the
baddie cause in CTU headquarters had been detected.

From: John John - MVP on
Mike S wrote:
> On 6/18/2010 4:39 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
>> Mike S wrote:

>>> I saw a show on television that mentioned some very powerful forensic
>>> software that could find the last two (that's right 2) sets of files
>>> on a hdd that had been overwritten. That is you save file A, then you
>>> overwrite it with file B. Then you overwrite that with file C. They
>>> could recover B and A with extremely high rates of accuracy!!!
>>>
>>> But most people do not have access to that software.
>>
>> Most people don't have access to that software because it just plain
>> doesn't exist, it's nothing but BS!
>>
>> John
>
> And you know this how?

You are the one who made the claim that there is some sort of 'magic'
software available that can recover overwritten files, it is up to you
to substantiate your claim and supply the name of the software and the
company who makes this software. The leading forensic recovery software
(EnCase) cannot do this and none of the major data recovery firms can do
this, just call them and ask them and you will get the same answer from
all of them. This idea that data could be recovered from overwritten
drives was a theory advanced by Dr. Peter Gutmann and he himself has
told me that his theory was misconstrued by many who read his paper, he
was never able to recover overwritten files and he knows of no one who
ever was.

John