From: Gomez on
Does anyone knows a utility that can delete files recursively from a folder?
I used so far the dos command line "del /S *" but I prefer a Windows
utility
Regards
Gomez

From: Bob I on
Del is a Windows utility, perhaps you meant something with a GUI?

From: Db on
there are utilities that
wipe the disk of deleted files.

however, there are differing
opinions whether wiping
deleted files with something
like military encryption
is effective against
hard drive forensics.

my opinion and a old friend
who is an m.i.t professor
is that the only sure way that
the contents on the disk are
not retrievable is to toss the
hard drive into a volcano or
the middle of ocean in the
middle of the night.
db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Mike S on
On 6/17/2010 11:10 AM, Db wrote:
> there are utilities that
> wipe the disk of deleted files.
>
> however, there are differing
> opinions whether wiping
> deleted files with something
> like military encryption
> is effective against
> hard drive forensics.
>
> my opinion and a old friend
> who is an m.i.t professor
> is that the only sure way that
> the contents on the disk are
> not retrievable is to toss the
> hard drive into a volcano or
> the middle of ocean in the
> middle of the night.

I saw a show on television that mentioned some very powerful forensic
software that could find the last two (that's right 2) sets of files on
a hdd that had been overwritten. That is you save file A, then you
overwrite it with file B. Then you overwrite that with file C. They
could recover B and A with extremely high rates of accuracy!!!

But most people do not have access to that software.

I agree though that if you want 100% security - take the drive apart and
bend/smash the platters...

OT addendum... and while you're ati it grab the neodymium magnets,
they're the strongest fixed magnets made and they're awesome. I've had
some that were strong enough to cling to one another through my hand, so
when I held my hand out horizontally and rotated the palm up or down the
magnets didn't fall off! And if you stick them together it's really hard
to get them apart.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2301828/how_to_hack_a_hard_drive_to_get_a_neodymium_magnet_by_tj_with_www_videopatent_info/

Mike
From: Anthony Buckland on

"Mike S" <mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 6/17/2010 11:10 AM, Db wrote:
>> there are utilities that
>> wipe the disk of deleted files.
>>
>> however, there are differing
>> opinions whether wiping
>> deleted files with something
>> like military encryption
>> is effective against
>> hard drive forensics.
>>
>> my opinion and a old friend
>> who is an m.i.t professor
>> is that the only sure way that
>> the contents on the disk are
>> not retrievable is to toss the
>> hard drive into a volcano or
>> the middle of ocean in the
>> middle of the night.
>
> I saw a show on television that mentioned some very powerful forensic
> software that could find the last two (that's right 2) sets of files on a
> hdd that had been overwritten. That is you save file A, then you overwrite
> it with file B. Then you overwrite that with file C. They could recover B
> and A with extremely high rates of accuracy!!!
>
> But most people do not have access to that software.
>
> I agree though that if you want 100% security - take the drive apart and
> bend/smash the platters...

I'm in the middle of securely disposing of a failed
hard drive (the failure of which condemns to death
a truly old machine that was reduced to performing
a few chores in the basement). I have the platters,
have read that any commonly used metal reaches
its Curie temperature and demagnetizes at heats
readily reached with propane torches or in the
depths of a briquette barbecue, and plan to roast
the platters in such a fire I will soon have access
to. Let CTU get something out of _them_!