From: aaron on
Since I am new to vb.net 2008, I have the following question to ask:
Since a solution (.sln file) can have several projects in it, can one
project file
work with another project file? In other words, can 'object a' in 'project
file 1',
work with 'object b' in 'project file 2' by using methods in ''object b'
where 'properties values' are exposed to 'public' access? For example, can
object 'manage finances' in 'project file 1' obtain the 'checking account'
values from object 'customer' in 'project file 2'? If so, can you tell me
and/or point me to a url that can explain how to accomplish this task?

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 01.06.2010 15:14, schrieb aaron:
> Since I am new to vb.net 2008, I have the following question to ask:
> Since a solution (.sln file) can have several projects in it, can one
> project file
> work with another project file? In other words, can 'object a' in 'project
> file 1',
> work with 'object b' in 'project file 2' by using methods in ''object b'
> where 'properties values' are exposed to 'public' access? For example, can
> object 'manage finances' in 'project file 1' obtain the 'checking account'
> values from object 'customer' in 'project file 2'? If so, can you tell me
> and/or point me to a url that can explain how to accomplish this task?

If one project is a "class library" project, you can reference it from
any other project. In the "set reference" dialog, choose the class library
project on the "projects" folder. Then you can access all available
items from the class library. You may specify the full qualified name
like Classlibrary1.ANamespace.ClassName or "Import" items like within
the same project.

Be aware that every project is made of layers. Every layer can only
access lower layers.

If you have multiple applications (.exe files) that you want to communicate
with each other at run time, you must look for IPC (inter process communication)
in the .Net Framework documentation.

--
Armin

From: aaron on
"Armin Zingler" wrote:

How about if both projects are not a "class library", can one project in
the same solution access another solution? If so, how would this be setup to
occur?

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 01.06.2010 17:39, schrieb aaron:
> "Armin Zingler" wrote:
>
> How about if both projects are not a "class library", can one project in
> the same solution access another solution? If so, how would this be setup to
> occur?

If you start an executable, a new process is created. DLLs are libraries that
are loaded dynamically into the process space of a process.

If you have multiple "Exe" projects (Winforms project, Console project) in
the same solution, you can choose which of these projects shall be started
whenever you start debugging. Every executable started is a separate process.
Even if the same Dll (class library) is referenced by different projects and
is consequently loaded into different process spaces, they don't share common
data. Therefore you must use IPC as mentioned.

In the very most cases there is only one Exe project in a solution.

--
Armin
From: aaron on
I basically have a vb.net 2008 solution that I need to make changes to. I am
trying to determine how this solution (.sln file) is setup. There is no
documentation.
When I compile this application is debug mode, it needs lots of files. If I
compile the .sln file in 'release' mode, the application compiles with a few
warnings.

Basically I am trying to determine how this .sln is setup beofre I make
any changes to it.

Why would buidling in release mode versus debug mode make a difference?
Does it make sense to add a reference to a .dll file in release mode but not
in debug mode?