From: John Thompson on
On 2010-07-26, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-26, John Thompson <john(a)stolat.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
>>
>> Since gmail supports access via POP3 and IMAP (both SSL encrypted) and
>> offers SMTP service (also encrypted) and all without any advertising, I
>> have to wonder why anybody would prefer the web interface at all.
>
> It's quite handy for searching (especially mailboxes containing
> thousands of messgages).

Ok, if that's important enough for you to tolerate the advertising and
other inconveniences -- by all means go for it!

--

-John (john(a)os2.dhs.org)
From: John Thompson on
On 2010-07-26, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-26, Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>>
>> I prefer just keeping things organized so that I know where they are.
>> Not hard to do really with proper filtering. Guess I'm old school...
>> Or maybe just neurotic. :)

> I guess I don't see how "proper filtering" can help. There's no way I
> can memorize the contents of each of almost 7000 different messages.
> Sure, I know the piece of info I need is in a particular mailbox (or
> two), but than may only narrow it down to a few hundred messages.

Depending on your local email client, you may be able to do such
searches on a local index of the remote IMAP folders and thus obviate
the network latency of remote searches.

--

-John (john(a)os2.dhs.org)
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-27, John Thompson <john(a)stolat.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
> On 2010-07-26, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2010-07-26, Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I prefer just keeping things organized so that I know where they are.
>>> Not hard to do really with proper filtering. Guess I'm old school...
>>> Or maybe just neurotic. :)
>
>> I guess I don't see how "proper filtering" can help. There's no way I
>> can memorize the contents of each of almost 7000 different messages.
>> Sure, I know the piece of info I need is in a particular mailbox (or
>> two), but than may only narrow it down to a few hundred messages.
>
> Depending on your local email client, you may be able to do such
> searches on a local index of the remote IMAP folders and thus obviate
> the network latency of remote searches.

My local e-mail client is mutt, and I was unaware there was a way to
search the content of email messages using mutt. Even if there was,
it would be horribly slow since it would have to download 514MB of
message bodies to do the search.

Are there IMAP clients which keep a local full-text index of message
bodies?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Mary Tyler Moore's
at SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing
From: Indi on
On 2010-07-26, Erwan David <erwan(a)rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> disait le 07/26/10 que :

>>> I didn't mean to to imply that one would use the web interface all the
>>> time because of the search facility -- I only use it when I want to do
>>> a search.
>>>

>> Been meaning to set up mairix for searching within mutt, maybe I'll do
>> that later today when things slow down a bit. Then hopefully the only
>> reason I'll ever have to use gmail in the browser will be to change
>> settings.
>
> mairix lacks many features, especially no support for different
> encodings, which means that if I make my request in UTF-8 and I received
> the email in iso-8859-1, it won't be found.
>
> Mairix also always complains about mime part or headers it does not
> understand, and it does not understand many of them.

Okay, I've installed mairix from ports and while it's true that it
chokes on a few headers, etc it does work just fine on local mboxes.
Very well in fact!

Haven't had time to figure out whether it can be used for searching
the IMAP folders, but I'll bet it will -- even if I have to hook up
offlineimap or something to do it on the local copies.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: John Thompson on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]
On 2010-07-27, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-27, John Thompson <john(a)stolat.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
>>
>> Depending on your local email client, you may be able to do such
>> searches on a local index of the remote IMAP folders and thus obviate
>> the network latency of remote searches.

> My local e-mail client is mutt, and I was unaware there was a way to
> search the content of email messages using mutt. Even if there was,
> it would be horribly slow since it would have to download 514MB of
> message bodies to do the search.
>
> Are there IMAP clients which keep a local full-text index of message
> bodies?

Not on content, but on headers at least.

--

-John (john(a)os2.dhs.org)