From: no.top.post on
A friend describes problems [which I've pasted below] that I can expect
if I use gmail. Can any of the described problems be avoided?

-----------
---------
> And of course google wants you to stay on line [and pay telco costs]
> while they hit you with adverts.
> So to originate or reply substantially, you need to compose your
> text off-line and paste it to gmail, quickly when you're next on line.
>
> I wonder if the gmail-server is in California or RSA?
> So then, it you go to Japan and gmail from there, it would perhaps:
> IF japan:gmail fails to find you
> THEN try HQ-California to get the RSA-server.
>
> So what happens if you stay in Japan for 20 years ?
>
> IMO Web-2 is just trying to be too smart!

OK, thanks for the feedback; I'll paste this to Newgroups
and hope to get some answers or advice.

==TIA.

From: Indi on
On 2010-07-25, no.top.post(a)gmail.com <no.top.post(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend describes problems [which I've pasted below] that I can expect
> if I use gmail. Can any of the described problems be avoided?
>
>> So you want to know how I like gmail? No much.
>> One of many reasons is that you can't just edit-in-situ my text below
>> & mail it back to me. So that I can just run a text-comparator over it;
>> also in-situ & see how/what you've edited/added-value.
>>
>> Under linux, when I swap different installations and browsers, gmail fails,
>> due to cookies. Web-based gmail insists on cookies-enabled.
>> And then later accesses insist on cookies being consistent with the previous.
>> Once you get out of sync, you're screwed.
> -----------
>> I have to transport my main hard-disk weekly: Parkhurst <--> Edenvale !
>> In order to break the 'locked-loop' I often just use an inet-cafee
>> to simulate a new/unknown/1st-post.
> ---------
>> And of course google wants you to stay on line [and pay telco costs]
>> while they hit you with adverts.
>> So to originate or reply substantially, you need to compose your
>> text off-line and paste it to gmail, quickly when you're next on line.
>>
>> I wonder if the gmail-server is in California or RSA?
>> So then, it you go to Japan and gmail from there, it would perhaps:
>> IF japan:gmail fails to find you
>> THEN try HQ-California to get the RSA-server.
>>
>> So what happens if you stay in Japan for 20 years ?
>>
>> IMO Web-2 is just trying to be too smart!
>
> OK, thanks for the feedback; I'll paste this to Newgroups
> and hope to get some answers or advice.
>
>==TIA.

Not sure what your friend is going on about, but having used gmail
with mutt via IMAP for nearly two years now I've had no trouble at
all...

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: John Thompson on
On 2010-07-25, Indi <indi(a)gaurahari.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:

> Not sure what your friend is going on about, but having used gmail
> with mutt via IMAP for nearly two years now I've had no trouble at
> all...

Since gmail supports access via POP3 and IMAP (both SSL encrypted) and
offers SMTP service (also encrypted) and all without any advertising, I
have to wonder why anybody would prefer the web interface at all.

--

-John (john(a)os2.dhs.org)
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-25, Indi <indi(a)gaurahari.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> On 2010-07-25, no.top.post(a)gmail.com <no.top.post(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> A friend describes problems [which I've pasted below] that I can expect
>> if I use gmail. Can any of the described problems be avoided?
[...]
> Not sure what your friend is going on about, but having used gmail
> with mutt via IMAP for nearly two years now I've had no trouble at
> all...

I've been using mutt+IMAP+gmail for a couple years as well, and it
works great. Far better than either MS Exchange server run by my
employer or courier-IMAP server that my ISP was running.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My Aunt MAUREEN was a
at military advisor to IKE &
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-26, John Thompson <john(a)stolat.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
> On 2010-07-25, Indi <indi(a)gaurahari.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>
>> Not sure what your friend is going on about, but having used gmail
>> with mutt via IMAP for nearly two years now I've had no trouble at
>> all...
>
> Since gmail supports access via POP3 and IMAP (both SSL encrypted) and
> offers SMTP service (also encrypted) and all without any advertising, I
> have to wonder why anybody would prefer the web interface at all.

It's quite handy for searching (especially mailboxes containing
thousands of messgages).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! In Newark the
at laundromats are open 24