From: Erwan David on
Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> disait le 07/28/10 que :

> On 2010-07-26, Erwan David <erwan(a)rail.eu.org> wrote:
>>
>> mairix lacks many features, especially no support for different
>> encodings, which means that if I make my request in UTF-8 and I received
>> the email in iso-8859-1, it won't be found.
>>
>> Mairix also always complains about mime part or headers it does not
>> understand, and it does not understand many of them.
>>

> Okay, I've installed mairix from ports and while it's true that it
> chokes on a few headers, etc it does work just fine on local mboxes.
> Very well in fact!
>
> Haven't had time to figure out whether it can be used for searching
> the IMAP folders, but I'll bet it will -- even if I have to hook up
> offlineimap or something to do it on the local copies.

The first problem is very annoying when the majority of your emails is
not in english...

--
Le travail n'est pas une bonne chose. Si �a l'�tait,
les riches l'auraient accapar�
From: Christian Ebert on
* Erwan David on Wednesday, July 28, 2010:
> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> disait le 07/28/10 que :
>> On 2010-07-26, Erwan David <erwan(a)rail.eu.org> wrote:
>>> mairix lacks many features, especially no support for different
>>> encodings, which means that if I make my request in UTF-8 and I received
>>> the email in iso-8859-1, it won't be found.
>>>
>>> Mairix also always complains about mime part or headers it does not
>>> understand, and it does not understand many of them.
>>>

>> Okay, I've installed mairix from ports and while it's true that it
>> chokes on a few headers, etc it does work just fine on local mboxes.
>> Very well in fact!
>>
>> Haven't had time to figure out whether it can be used for searching
>> the IMAP folders, but I'll bet it will -- even if I have to hook up
>> offlineimap or something to do it on the local copies.
>
> The first problem is very annoying when the majority of your emails is
> not in english...

Perhaps nmzmail is worth a try:

http://flpsed.org/nmzmail.html

Disclaimer: I haven't used it myself (yet), so I can't guarantee
that it works with other charsets as ascii, but I assume so as
the underlying search engine is of Japanese origin:

http://www.namazu.org/

Was hei�t hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]
free movies --->>> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/underdogma-movies/id363423596
From: Christian Ebert on
* Erwan David on Wednesday, July 28, 2010:
> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> disait le 07/28/10 que :
>> On 2010-07-26, Erwan David <erwan(a)rail.eu.org> wrote:
>>> mairix lacks many features, especially no support for different
>>> encodings, which means that if I make my request in UTF-8 and I received
>>> the email in iso-8859-1, it won't be found.
>>>
>>> Mairix also always complains about mime part or headers it does not
>>> understand, and it does not understand many of them.
>>
>> Okay, I've installed mairix from ports and while it's true that it
>> chokes on a few headers, etc it does work just fine on local mboxes.
>> Very well in fact!
>>
>> Haven't had time to figure out whether it can be used for searching
>> the IMAP folders, but I'll bet it will -- even if I have to hook up
>> offlineimap or something to do it on the local copies.
>
> The first problem is very annoying when the majority of your emails is
> not in english...

Try this (I've called it mairixquery.sh):

#!/bin/sh

threads=
augment=
charset="`printf $LANG | cut -d . -f 2`"
fallback="windows-1252"

yorn() {
local ans
printf '%s %s ' "$1" "(yes/[no])"
read -e ans
case "$ans" in
y*|Y*) return 0;;
*) return 1;;
esac
}

printf '%s\n' "Enter mairix query:"
read -e query
test -z "$query" && exit 0

yorn "Retrieve thread(s)?" && threads="--threads"
yorn "Append message(s) to mfolder?" && augment="--augment"

mairix $threads $augment "$query"

queryx=`echo "$query" | iconv -f "$charset" -t "$fallback"`

if [ "$queryx" != "$query" ]; then
echo "trying $fallback"
mairix $threads --augment "$queryx"
fi

You could also make the fallback interactive, but so far this has
been enough for my needs.

I then use it directly from within Mutt:

set my_mairixfolder=`awk -F '=' '/^mfolder/ { print $2 }' ~/.mairixrc`

macro index,pager ,m "\
<enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
<shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
<enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
<change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"

macro browser ,m "\
<enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
<shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
<enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
<exit><change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"

\black\trash movie _C O W B O Y_ _C A N O E_ _C O M A_
Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php
From: Erwan David on
Christian Ebert <blacktrash(a)gmx.net> disait le 07/29/10 que :

> * Erwan David on Wednesday, July 28, 2010:

>>> Okay, I've installed mairix from ports and while it's true that it
>>> chokes on a few headers, etc it does work just fine on local mboxes.
>>> Very well in fact!
>>>
>>> Haven't had time to figure out whether it can be used for searching
>>> the IMAP folders, but I'll bet it will -- even if I have to hook up
>>> offlineimap or something to do it on the local copies.
>>
>> The first problem is very annoying when the majority of your emails is
>> not in english...
>
> Try this (I've called it mairixquery.sh):
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> threads=
> augment=
> charset="`printf $LANG | cut -d . -f 2`"
> fallback="windows-1252"
>
> yorn() {
> local ans
> printf '%s %s ' "$1" "(yes/[no])"
> read -e ans
> case "$ans" in
> y*|Y*) return 0;;
> *) return 1;;
> esac
> }
>
> printf '%s\n' "Enter mairix query:"
> read -e query
> test -z "$query" && exit 0
>
> yorn "Retrieve thread(s)?" && threads="--threads"
> yorn "Append message(s) to mfolder?" && augment="--augment"
>
> mairix $threads $augment "$query"
>
> queryx=`echo "$query" | iconv -f "$charset" -t "$fallback"`
>
> if [ "$queryx" != "$query" ]; then
> echo "trying $fallback"
> mairix $threads --augment "$queryx"
> fi
>

> You could also make the fallback interactive, but so far this has
> been enough for my needs.
>

> I then use it directly from within Mutt:
>

> set my_mairixfolder=`awk -F '=' '/^mfolder/ { print $2 }' ~/.mairixrc`
>
> macro index,pager ,m "\
> <enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
> <shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
> <enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
> <change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"
>
> macro browser ,m "\
> <enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
> <shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
> <enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
> <exit><change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"

You should better get charset through the locale command. In my setting
LANG is undefined, only LC_CTYPE

And it won't solve the problem that email is indexed in the received
charset and I receive them in several charsets, indexing should be done
on a normalized form.

From: Christian Ebert on
* Erwan David on Saturday, July 31, 2010:
> Christian Ebert <blacktrash(a)gmx.net> disait le 07/29/10 que :
>> Try this (I've called it mairixquery.sh):
>>

>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> threads=
>> augment=
>> charset="`printf $LANG | cut -d . -f 2`"
>> fallback="windows-1252"
>>
>> yorn() {
>> local ans
>> printf '%s %s ' "$1" "(yes/[no])"
>> read -e ans
>> case "$ans" in
>> y*|Y*) return 0;;
>> *) return 1;;
>> esac
>> }
>>
>> printf '%s\n' "Enter mairix query:"
>> read -e query
>> test -z "$query" && exit 0
>>
>> yorn "Retrieve thread(s)?" && threads="--threads"
>> yorn "Append message(s) to mfolder?" && augment="--augment"
>>
>> mairix $threads $augment "$query"
>>
>> queryx=`echo "$query" | iconv -f "$charset" -t "$fallback"`
>>
>> if [ "$queryx" != "$query" ]; then
>> echo "trying $fallback"
>> mairix $threads --augment "$queryx"
>> fi
>>

>> You could also make the fallback interactive, but so far this has
>> been enough for my needs.
>>

>> I then use it directly from within Mutt:
>>

>> set my_mairixfolder=`awk -F '=' '/^mfolder/ { print $2 }' ~/.mairixrc`
>>
>> macro index,pager ,m "\
>> <enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
>> <shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
>> <enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
>> <change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"
>>
>> macro browser ,m "\
>> <enter-command> set my_wait_key=\$wait_key wait_key=no<enter>\
>> <shell-escape> mairixquery.sh<enter>\
>> <enter-command> set wait_key=\$my_wait_key &my_wait_key<enter>\
>> <exit><change-folder>+$my_mairixfolder" "mairix query"
>
> You should better get charset through the locale command. In my setting
> LANG is undefined, only LC_CTYPE

Ok. Use LC_CTYPE then ;-)

> And it won't solve the problem that email is indexed in the received
> charset and I receive them in several charsets, indexing should be done
> on a normalized form.

Of course. It's only a workaround which happens to cover most of
my personal use cases. nmzmail might be better suited for you,
but it has other shortcomings, like lack of thread retrieval
(something I really like with mairix). So, for me, it's at least
better than nothing. I asked on the mairix-users list, and it
doesn't look like something like you wish for is going to
implemented anytime soon.