From: joel garry on
On Aug 29, 10:53 pm, sybra...(a)hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:21:07 -0700, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Ah jeez, Sybrand, Laurenz is one of the good guys.
>
> Is he? His advice to set the database character set to the character
> set of the client is utter nonsense.
> When pointed to that fact, he doesn't admit that, but he starts to
> spout flames and calling me 'clueless'.
> Which, apart from being dishonest and a coward, as he doesn't admit
> his own mistake, Laurenz Albe clearly is.

[blush] my mistake, I was confusing him with someone else. Sorry to
all!

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"There is no such thing as a lose canon. Just easy targets." - Noons

From: sybrandb on
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:28:24 +0200, "Martin T." <0xCDCDCDCD(a)gmx.at>
wrote:

>sybrandb(a)hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:05:46 +0200, "Martin T." <0xCDCDCDCD(a)gmx.at>
>> wrote:

>>> Amen. But still Oracle will probably tell you that it's a Feature, not a
>>> Bug.
>>
>> It is not a bug. Laurenz Albe is, as usual, having everything wrong,
>> clueless as he is on characterset issues.
>> In this situation you will never notice anything when your database
>> characterset is US7ASCII and your client characterset is US7ASCII.
>> If the client O/S displays the character correctly everything will
>> work.
>> I am speaking from experience, been there, done that. Laurenz Albe
>> just doesn't know what he is talking about (refer to his recent advise
>> to set the database characterset to the characterset of the client,
>> which is utterly stupid).
>>

>Would you be so kind as to quote Laurenz's exact wording where he
>actually does recommend that? Because I sure cannot remember having read
>anything here that would state such a thing.
>
>br,
>Martin

<quote>
I agree with you that reading what you quoted from Oracle
documentation
sounds like they are all FOR having database character set and client
character set identical.
</quote>

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
From: Ben on
On Aug 31, 1:37 am, sybra...(a)hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:28:24 +0200, "Martin T." <0xCDCDC...(a)gmx.at>
> wrote:
>

> >sybra...(a)hccnet.nl wrote:

> >> It is not a bug. Laurenz Albe is, as usual, having everything wrong,
> >> clueless as he is on characterset issues.
> >> In this situation you will never notice anything when your database
> >> characterset is US7ASCII and your client characterset is US7ASCII.
> >> If the client O/S displays the character correctly everything will
> >> work.
> >> I am speaking from experience, been there, done that. Laurenz Albe
> >> just doesn't know what he is talking about (refer to his recent advise
> >> to set the database characterset to the characterset of the client,
> >> which is utterly stupid).
>
> >Would you be so kind as to quote Laurenz's exact wording where he
> >actually does recommend that? Because I sure cannot remember having read
> >anything here that would state such a thing.
>
> >br,
> >Martin
>
> <quote>
> I agree with you that reading what you quoted from Oracle
> documentation
> sounds like they are all FOR having database character set and client
> character set identical.
> </quote>
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

He was agreeing that Oracle's documentation is confusing and in
certain parts SOUNDS LIKE that is what they suggest, key words 'SOUNDS
LIKE'. I didn't read that as him suggesting setting the two to be the
same, please re-read and try to comprehend.

From: sybrandb on
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:52:46 -0700, Ben <balvey(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>He was agreeing that Oracle's documentation is confusing and in
>certain parts SOUNDS LIKE that is what they suggest, key words 'SOUNDS
>LIKE'. I didn't read that as him suggesting setting the two to be the
>same, please re-read and try to comprehend.

It doesn't matter how often he uses 'SOUNDS LIKE': he is
misrepresenting Oracle's point of view on this.
Oracle's point of view is: character set should always equate
characterset of O/S on *both sides*.
If that means character set conversion, so be it.

So if you have a database on Unix, as Unix doesn't support MSWIN1252,
the database characterset should WE8ISO8859P15.
If your clients are Windows your characterset should be MSWIN1252 on
the client, as Windows doesn't support WE8ISO8859P15.
If you are running in a DOS box, your characterset should be set to
WEPC850.
So if he states it 'SOUNDS LIKE' Oracle recommends setting everything
to MSWIN1252: Oracle never recommended that, and implementing his
advice is outright dangerous if you have a database running on Unix.

He *cheats* when he is stating Oracle recommends using UTF8. That is a
recent recommendation which applies to 10g and higher.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
From: Frank van Bortel on

sybrandb(a)hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:52:46 -0700, Ben <balvey(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> He was agreeing that Oracle's documentation is confusing and in
>> certain parts SOUNDS LIKE that is what they suggest, key words 'SOUNDS
>> LIKE'. I didn't read that as him suggesting setting the two to be the
>> same, please re-read and try to comprehend.
>
> It doesn't matter how often he uses 'SOUNDS LIKE': he is
> misrepresenting Oracle's point of view on this.
> Oracle's point of view is: character set should always equate
> characterset of O/S on *both sides*.
> If that means character set conversion, so be it.
>
> So if you have a database on Unix, as Unix doesn't support MSWIN1252,
> the database characterset should WE8ISO8859P15.
> If your clients are Windows your characterset should be MSWIN1252 on
> the client, as Windows doesn't support WE8ISO8859P15.
> If you are running in a DOS box, your characterset should be set to
> WEPC850.
> So if he states it 'SOUNDS LIKE' Oracle recommends setting everything
> to MSWIN1252: Oracle never recommended that, and implementing his
> advice is outright dangerous if you have a database running on Unix.
>
> He *cheats* when he is stating Oracle recommends using UTF8. That is a
> recent recommendation which applies to 10g and higher.

So, you are an advocate of keeping the characterset of the client
the same as for the database?!?
Because you do: you say the Database should adhere the OS characterset.
As far as any utility, running on the server is concerned, those
utilities are *clients* to the server.
Utter nonsense to jump on Laurenz like that, Sybrand, when you claim
the very same.

An oracle database (running on whatever system) is perfectly happy
when created with WE8MSWIN1252 characterset.
But please set your Unix *environment* to WE8ISO8859P1 (not P15,
as Unix does not support the Euro symbol) - to quote you:
> If that means character set conversion, so be it.

The bottom line is: what the "Install Wizards" from Oracle
come up with as default, usually is quite workable.

As soon as you have a mixed environment (mixed being single and
multibyte character sets to be supported) switch to a database
UTF characterset, supported since 8i.
Leave the environment settings -where ever- as they are!
- --
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...