From: sybrandb on
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:11:47 +0200, Frank van Bortel
<frank.van.bortel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>So, you are an advocate of keeping the characterset of the client
>the same as for the database?!?
>Because you do: you say the Database should adhere the OS characterset.
>As far as any utility, running on the server is concerned, those
>utilities are *clients* to the server.
>Utter nonsense to jump on Laurenz like that, Sybrand, when you claim
>the very same.

Reading seems to be quite difficult for several people nowadays.
In my situation I *don't* have clients running on the server.
They are all running on Winblows.

So: set the characterset of the database to the characterset of the
O/S: WE8ISO8859P15 on *Nix and MSWIN1252 on Winblows.
Set the characterset of the client (a *different* system) to the
characterset of the client O/S, usually MSWIN1252.
Actually this is the situation when you use the installation defaults
on *Nix and on Winblows.
Why people set their charactersets to US7ASCII beats me.

Why you jump on me and accuse me of something I never stated, beats me
too.

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
From: Frank van Bortel on
From: sybrandb on
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:38:01 +0200, Frank van Bortel
<frank.van.bortel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> So: set the characterset of the database to the characterset of the
>> O/S: WE8ISO8859P15 on *Nix and MSWIN1252 on Winblows.
>
>No, no need at all - and, P15 is not Unix - P1 is.

Actually most Unixes support P15, at least Solaris and AIX.
P1 doesn't support the Euro sign. P15 does.

P15 exists because the ISO committee couldn't agree on changing P1.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA