From: RB on
If I decide to define unicode in my MFC app where exactly should
I place the define in the include files ?
I have read that it should go before you include the windows.h file,
but I don't see that in my mfc include files, so either I am missing it
or the windows.h file has been included deeper in the mfc generation.
Appreciate any input.

From: Scott McPhillips [MVP] on
You should let the IDE do it. See Project, Properties, General, Character
Set. It puts the #defines in the command line, not in the source.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
There are two preprocessor symbols which must be defined:

_UNICODE
UNICODE

You define these as part of your configuration, by causing the IDE to configure so the
/D_UNICODE and /DUNICODE options appear on the command line, and this is done by adding
these two symbols to the preprocessor symbols that are defined, such as WIN32, _DEBUG,
NDEBUG, etc.

Due to terminal brain damage of the designer of the IDE, various lists have different
punctuation; some use semicolon separators, some use space separators, and some use
commas. There is NO rational explanation as to why these are done as punctuated lists
instead of as ListBox sequences where you can add elements to the lists and stupid and
irrelevant concepts like punctuation are handled by the IDE, but the obvious issue is
"that would require intelligent design", which is anathema to the IDE designers. (we know
software *evolves*, because there is no trace of intelligent design anywhere). So make
sure you follow whatever arbitrary and inconsistent punctuation is used.
joe

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:09:21 -0400, "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote:

>If I decide to define unicode in my MFC app where exactly should
>I place the define in the include files ?
>I have read that it should go before you include the windows.h file,
>but I don't see that in my mfc include files, so either I am missing it
>or the windows.h file has been included deeper in the mfc generation.
>Appreciate any input.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: RB on

Ugh, ok but I'm using VC Pro ver 6.x, I don't see a
"Project, Properties, General, Character " but rather
a Project, General OR Custom Build, so I am still
a little confused as to where it should be, but you say
this happens how ( " let the IDE do it " )

==============================

From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> There is NO rational explanation as to why these are done as punctuated
> lists
> instead of as ListBox sequences where you can add elements to the lists

You get a modal dialog with a listbox if you click on whatever control is
rightmost in the edit box (either "..." button or drop down arrow, then
select <Edit>), I forget right now.

As such, the edit box is a simple summary view. Which, by the way, is also
editable for additional functionality. This works well unless the user is
too impatient to self-discover the richness of such a design.

-- David