From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:28:22 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> RnR wrote:

>>> I thought some time ago others told me that the usb wifi sticks don't
>>> work well ???? I can't speak from any experience since I never used
>>> one. I almost considered buying one till others said they didn't
>>> work well.
>> I much prefer internal PCI wifi cards.
>>
>> But with the low-profile PCI slots, USB wifi is the only game in town.
>> I have never seen a low-profile PCI wifi card. There just are not that
>> many systems with low-profile slots for a card manufacturer to make one.
>> Of the computers with low-profile PCI slots, I would guess that the
>> large majority of them are attached to the world with Cat 5 cables, not
>> wifi. It's only when a low-profile system sneaks out of corporate
>> America into the hands of a consumer that the need for a wifi card might
>> exist. Of course, you could cut, twist, bend and shape another slot
>> adapter to use a PCI wifi card in a low-profile slot. That's too much
>> work for me... Ben Myers
>

> I gotcha Ben. Thanks.

One more thought about USB wifi. A lot of people stuff their desktop
computers into furniture made especially for this purpose. So the
computer is in a cramped unventilated space with a lot of wood and some
metal to dampen or deflect wifi signals. In some of these situations, a
USB wifi adapter on the end of a USB extension cable works better than a
PCI wifi adapter down in the back of the computer somewhere, simply
because the USB adapter can be moved around and placed where it gets a
stronger signal.

A few PCI wifi adapters have connectors which allow attachment of all
sorts of wifi antennae, including home-made cantennas based on Pringles
chip containers. These may well be the best for troublesome home or
office wifi... Ben Myers
From: RnR on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:42:23 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:28:22 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I much prefer internal PCI wifi cards.
>>>
>>> But with the low-profile PCI slots, USB wifi is the only game in town.
>>> I have never seen a low-profile PCI wifi card. There just are not that
>>> many systems with low-profile slots for a card manufacturer to make one.
>>> Of the computers with low-profile PCI slots, I would guess that the
>>> large majority of them are attached to the world with Cat 5 cables, not
>>> wifi. It's only when a low-profile system sneaks out of corporate
>>> America into the hands of a consumer that the need for a wifi card might
>>> exist. Of course, you could cut, twist, bend and shape another slot
>>> adapter to use a PCI wifi card in a low-profile slot. That's too much
>>> work for me... Ben Myers
>>

>> I gotcha Ben. Thanks.
>
>One more thought about USB wifi. A lot of people stuff their desktop
>computers into furniture made especially for this purpose. So the
>computer is in a cramped unventilated space with a lot of wood and some
>metal to dampen or deflect wifi signals. In some of these situations, a
>USB wifi adapter on the end of a USB extension cable works better than a
>PCI wifi adapter down in the back of the computer somewhere, simply
>because the USB adapter can be moved around and placed where it gets a
>stronger signal.
>
>A few PCI wifi adapters have connectors which allow attachment of all
>sorts of wifi antennae, including home-made cantennas based on Pringles
>chip containers. These may well be the best for troublesome home or
>office wifi... Ben Myers

Good Point ! I hadn't really given it a lot of thought but makes
sense to me. I'm lucky as I don't have a problem with wifi in my home
tho on occasion I see the signal strength drop for no apparent reason
but usually that doesn't cause me any drops 99% of the time. Of
course I've read some do have wifi problems in their homes and likely
it can be caused either by what you said, home construction or near by
objects. But I agree with what you said. I just didn't bother to
give it much thought at the time since I am fighting a minor cold.
From: Rich/rerat on
species8350,
The following product ships with a low-profile bracket, that can be changed
to fit slim PCs:

D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter ($
39.99 + shpg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127080&Tpk=WDA-1320%20Wireless%20G%20Desktop%20Adapter

I personally use it in my home network, and it works fine, with my Dell
GX-270. The card you mentioned, D-Link is listing it in their out-dated
product list.
--
Have a Good Day,
Rich/rerat

From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:42:23 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> RnR wrote:

>>> I gotcha Ben. Thanks.
>> One more thought about USB wifi. A lot of people stuff their desktop
>> computers into furniture made especially for this purpose. So the
>> computer is in a cramped unventilated space with a lot of wood and some
>> metal to dampen or deflect wifi signals. In some of these situations, a
>> USB wifi adapter on the end of a USB extension cable works better than a
>> PCI wifi adapter down in the back of the computer somewhere, simply
>> because the USB adapter can be moved around and placed where it gets a
>> stronger signal.
>>
>> A few PCI wifi adapters have connectors which allow attachment of all
>> sorts of wifi antennae, including home-made cantennas based on Pringles
>> chip containers. These may well be the best for troublesome home or
>> office wifi... Ben Myers
>

> Good Point ! I hadn't really given it a lot of thought but makes
> sense to me. I'm lucky as I don't have a problem with wifi in my home
> tho on occasion I see the signal strength drop for no apparent reason
> but usually that doesn't cause me any drops 99% of the time. Of
> course I've read some do have wifi problems in their homes and likely
> it can be caused either by what you said, home construction or near by
> objects. But I agree with what you said. I just didn't bother to
> give it much thought at the time since I am fighting a minor cold.

Home networks and small office networks, whether in a home or in an
office park, can be especially challenging. People living in homes
built in the 1800s or earlier don't want to tear down plaster-and-lath
walls to run Cat 5e or Cat 6, which is still the most trouble-free way
to lash a network of computers together. Homes take odd shapes and
often the cable internet comes into the house in a location most distant
from the rest of the house. Then you have 8 or 9 wifi access points
visible in a high-density housing development or an office park, and
three of them have an SSID of linksys and which one is yours? Finally,
there was a computer I delivered and set up way back when and I got the
call saying that it was rebooting every half hour. I went back over
there, sat patiently by the computer until it rebooted at exactly the
same time the refrigerator compressor cut in. Yep! Computer and fridge
on the same circuit, and a computer starved for power when the fridge
took it all.

Happy holidays... Ben
From: Ben Myers on
Rich/rerat wrote:
> species8350,
> The following product ships with a low-profile bracket, that can be changed
> to fit slim PCs:
>
> D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter ($
> 39.99 + shpg)
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127080&Tpk=WDA-1320%20Wireless%20G%20Desktop%20Adapter
>
> I personally use it in my home network, and it works fine, with my Dell
> GX-270. The card you mentioned, D-Link is listing it in their out-dated
> product list.

If D-Link is not careful, they will acheive total domination of the
low-profile PCI wifi card market. But there is no threat that the DoJ
or the EU will file monopoly charges.

Good info to have! ... Ben Myers