From: Ben Myers on
species8350 wrote:
> On Dec 30 2009, 8:08 pm, "RnR" <rnrte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:28:08 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Home networks and small office networks, whether in a home or in an
>>> office park, can be especially challenging. People living in homes
>>> built in the 1800s or earlier don't want to tear down plaster-and-lath
>>> walls to run Cat 5e or Cat 6, which is still the most trouble-free way
>>> to lash a network of computers together. Homes take odd shapes and
>>> often the cable internet comes into the house in a location most distant
>> >from the rest of the house. Then you have 8 or 9 wifi access points
>>> visible in a high-density housing development or an office park, and
>>> three of them have an SSID of linksys and which one is yours? Finally,
>>> there was a computer I delivered and set up way back when and I got the
>>> call saying that it was rebooting every half hour. I went back over
>>> there, sat patiently by the computer until it rebooted at exactly the
>>> same time the refrigerator compressor cut in. Yep! Computer and fridge
>>> on the same circuit, and a computer starved for power when the fridge
>>> took it all.
>>> Happy holidays... Ben
>> Good story Ben <smile>. And same to you, your family and everyone
>> else here (friend or foe). - Hide quoted text -

> I am looking at the wifi cards on the Novatech website.
>
> The DWL-G510 is well reviewed. I don't see end of line as an issue.
> Just how well it works.
>
> How important is the type of antenna?
> They have an Edimax with a lead to the antenna. is this a big
> advantage.
> They also have an Edimax with three antennas that supports N
> broadcasts. Could this antenna system be an advantage
> Their Novatech card has a double dipole antenna. Is this a good idea.
>
> Is the antenna the most important part of the card?

Never heard of Novatech, but there are now several new brand names in
the field of wifi, as these have all become cheap commodity items.

Antennae, on both the router itself and on a card in a computer become
extremely important if and when one is baffled as to why the wifi signal
at one end of the house is weak at the other end, with wireless 2.4Ghz
phone, microwave ovens and other electronic appliance in between.

On the other hand, if you are lucky (well, maybe not too lucky) and have
placed your boradband modem and wifi router near the center of the
house, and the house is constructed mostly of wood, wifi signal strength
is not a problem and a supplementary antenna really is not needed.

.... Ben Myers
From: Ben Myers on
Timothy Daniels wrote:
> Do a Google search on "fractal wifi antennas".
> Fractal antennas (PCB etchings of an un-endably
> complex shape) are what replaced the stubby
> "rectal probe" antennas on cell phones about ten
> or 20 years ago. Fractal antennas are both compact
> and wide-spectrum (i.e. they don't have to be tuned),
> and relatively cheap.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Ah! So that's why my intestines have a ring tone... Ben
From: Tom Lake on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
>> Do a Google search on "fractal wifi antennas".
>> Fractal antennas (PCB etchings of an un-endably
>> complex shape) are what replaced the stubby
>> "rectal probe" antennas on cell phones about ten
>> or 20 years ago. Fractal antennas are both compact
>> and wide-spectrum (i.e. they don't have to be tuned),
>> and relatively cheap.
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>
> Ah! So that's why my intestines have a ring tone... Ben

The music goes 'round and around
Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho
And it comes out here

Tom Lake

From: species8350 on
On Jan 1, 9:28 pm, "Tom Lake" <tl...(a)twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> "Ben Myers" <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote in message

> > Timothy Daniels wrote:
> >> Do a Google search on "fractal wifi antennas".
> >> Fractal antennas (PCB etchings of an un-endably
> >> complex shape) are what replaced the stubby
> >> "rectal probe" antennas on cell phones about ten
> >> or 20 years ago.  Fractal antennas are both compact
> >> and wide-spectrum (i.e. they don't have to be tuned),
> >> and relatively cheap.
>
> >> *TimDaniels*
>
> > Ah! So that's why my intestines have a ring tone... Ben
>
> The music goes 'round and around
> Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho
> And it comes out here
>
> Tom Lake

Context.

Tower on first floor, placed on the floor. Room has brick walls,
wooden floor.
Router one floor below (probably will be Thomson). Position uncertain
(not yet arrived).

I think, to be safe, I should have a decent antenna on my PCI card. I
am tempted to think that an antenna with a cable will offer more
options when trying to get a good signal.

Thanks