From: 123Jim on

"Billns" <billns(a)nsverizon.net> wrote in message
> On 6/10/2010 1:16 PM, 123Jim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a product
>> key
>> for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>>
>> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>>
>> cheers
>>

> Is the OEM disk for your laptop specifically? And does it have its own
> product key?
>
> If yes to both, it should work.
> Otherwise, you could try and see what happens.
>
> Is your laptop still working ok? If so, why do you want to install XP Home
> in place of XP Media Center?

The OEM disk has it's own key, but that key is being used on the computer
for which the CD was purchased ..

The laptop has an illegal copy of Vista installed (not by me), but a valid
key for 'XP media Centre' on the base.

The laptop is working fine with this illegal copy of Vista .. occasionally
there's a message about 'this copy of vista is not genuine' .. and also a
bubble: 'you need to validate this copy of Vista - click here' ..

I have opted not to click there yet, as I assume it will be locked down in
the near future.. and I 'd rather Microsoft 'does' that to the owner's
laptop.. and not me ..

The strange thing is this invalid Vista has been installed for a year I am
told .. I am having no problems updating it with service pack 2 .. I thought
that would be block for an MS OS that has not yet been validated ..

From: 123Jim on

>"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>On Jun 10, 9:16 pm, "123Jim" <jnkjnjn...(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a >product
>> key
>> for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>>
>> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>>
>> cheers

>NO. CD Keys are product specific. You need a CD that matches the CD
>key.

That is a shame ..I thought the restriction was only between , OEM versus
Retail and home edition versus Pro

I guess I can contact the Laptop makers for an XP disk?

From: Shenan Stanley on
123Jim wrote:
>> "smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Jun 10, 9:16 pm, "123Jim" <jnkjnjn...(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a
>>> for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>>>
>>> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>>>
>>> cheers
>
>> NO. CD Keys are product specific. You need a CD that matches the
>> CD key.
>
> That is a shame ..I thought the restriction was only between , OEM
> versus Retail and home edition versus Pro
>
> I guess I can contact the Laptop makers for an XP disk?

Windows XP Home Edition is not even close to the same class as Windows XP
Media Center Edition. MCE is a superset of WIndows XP Professional and was
only sold as an OEM product - with systems for the most part.

Yes - you would need to contact the laptop manufacturer and/or read the
manual/stuff that came with the laptop to see how one would go about
restoring this device to its original state.

As for your assumption...

The product key for XP goes by the edition _and_ type (Home, Professional,
Media Center, TabletPC, etc *&* OEM, Retail, Volume, etc...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: 123Jim on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> 123Jim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a
>> product key for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>>
>> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>>
>> cheers
>
> The answer is no, assuming you attempt to use the XP MCE key with the XP
> Home CD. (Then again, if your XP Home CD is *unused*, you could use the XP
> Home installation CD along with its corresponding XP Home Product Key to
> perform a Clean Install on the laptop. But I doubt that is the situation!)
>
> What is the make and model of this laptop? For all you know, the hard
> drive might have a hidden recovery partition.

It's an: advent 7110 Model number: eaa-88
I'm not sure where it was purchased .. I should find that out tomorrow

From: Daave on
123Jim wrote:
> It's an: advent 7110 Model number: eaa-88

This page should help:

http://support.thetechguys.com//recoverymedia/