From: 123Jim on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> 123Jim wrote:
>> It's an: advent 7110 Model number: eaa-88
>
> This page should help:
>
> http://support.thetechguys.com//recoverymedia/

Thanks .. that's just what's needed.

I have a question about the life of XP .. which I 'll put out in a separate
thread.
i.e. how long before Microsoft stop supporting it?

From: John R on

"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> I have a question about the life of XP .. which I 'll put out in a
> separate thread.
> i.e. how long before Microsoft stop supporting it?

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

John R.

From: Daave on
123Jim wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> 123Jim wrote:
>>> It's an: advent 7110 Model number: eaa-88
>>
>> This page should help:
>>
>> http://support.thetechguys.com//recoverymedia/
>>

> Thanks .. that's just what's needed.

YW.

> I have a question about the life of XP .. which I 'll put out in a
> separate thread.
> i.e. how long before Microsoft stop supporting it?

Extended support (in the form of security updates) -- for Service Pack
*3* -- through April, 2014.

From: dadiOH on
123Jim wrote:
> "Billns" <billns(a)nsverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On 6/10/2010 1:16 PM, 123Jim wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a
>>> product key
>>> for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>>>
>>> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>

>> Is the OEM disk for your laptop specifically? And does it have its
>> own product key?
>>
>> If yes to both, it should work.
>> Otherwise, you could try and see what happens.
>>
>> Is your laptop still working ok? If so, why do you want to install
>> XP Home in place of XP Media Center?
>>

> The OEM disk has it's own key, but that key is being used on the
> computer for which the CD was purchased ..
>
> The laptop has an illegal copy of Vista installed (not by me), but a
> valid key for 'XP media Centre' on the base.

Since you don't mind MS illegalities, just use the OEM key on the other
computer too. It will work fine as long as it isn't an OEM for a specific
brand of machine (Dell, etc.)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: 123Jim on

"dadiOH" <dadiOH(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> 123Jim wrote:
>> "Billns" <billns(a)nsverizon.net> wrote in message

>>> Is the OEM disk for your laptop specifically? And does it have its
>>> own product key?
>>>
>>> If yes to both, it should work.
>>> Otherwise, you could try and see what happens.
>>>
>>> Is your laptop still working ok? If so, why do you want to install
>>> XP Home in place of XP Media Center?
>>>

>> The OEM disk has it's own key, but that key is being used on the
>> computer for which the CD was purchased ..
>>
>> The laptop has an illegal copy of Vista installed (not by me), but a
>> valid key for 'XP media Centre' on the base.
>
> Since you don't mind MS illegalities, just use the OEM key on the other
> computer too. It will work fine as long as it isn't an OEM for a specific
> brand of machine (Dell, etc.)

Well .. I don't think that is quite correct . .. I don't get too shocked or
excited if someone has had unlicensed software installed by someone else ..I
would inform them of the situation .. Often they don't even know .. or maybe
they suspect something .. However, I am certainly not in the business of
installing unlicensed software in anyone's computer . I don't need the
hassle :)