From: Bruce Chambers on
123Jim wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a product key
> for 'XP Media Centre' ..
>
> Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop?
>
> cheers

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, or full) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail product. An
Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD. Bottom line:
Product Keys and CD/license types cannot usually (it's been reported
that the Product Key for a full license will work with an Upgrade CD) be
mixed & matched.

You'll need to use the WinXP-MCE installation CD that came with the
laptop.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: smlunatick on
On Jun 11, 9:15 pm, "dadiOH" <dad...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> 123Jim wrote:
> > "dadiOH" <dad...(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

> >> Who's going to hassle you?  Not me.  Besides, your OEM CD *is* legal
> >> and licensed, yes?
>
> > If I install an OEM single hardware licensed XP on two different
> > computers, I have the feeling that Microsoft update or the 'Microsoft
> > genuine bootleg detector' software will be able to identify the
> > second computer and make it display the 'not genuine' message, then
> > disable it..
>
> Nope
>
> > Then I get the hassle from whoever's computer I installed it on. no?
>
> I thought it was your laptop.  No matter, same answer...nope.
>
> On second thought, I really can't say re MS update as I never use it.  I
> strongly doubt it though.
>
> --
>
> dadiOH
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
> Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

What Microsoft has not told "most" people is that as soon as the XP is
connected to the Internet, it is using the MS Update system.