From: Vera Noest on
answers inline

"IT STAFF" <jkklim(a)hotmail.com> wrote on 15 apr 2010:

> 1. I've windows 2003 DC that contains TS license server.
> 2. A few of the windows 2003 member server are installed with
> terminal services (though they are not using it, but it gets
> instsalled)
>
> Questions
>
> a) If i remove member server terminal services, it says "Program
> installed after Terminal Server installation might need to
> re-install". But the member server only contains database and
> usually admnistrators RDP in. No clients login. So is it SAFE to
> remove ?

Yes, then it should be save to uninstall Terminal Services.
Don't forget to enable Remote Desktop for Administration, if you
still have a need to connect to the server remotely (that's done in
Control Panel - System - Remote).

> b) windows 2003 Member server terminal services configuration,
> its shows "License server discovery mode" to Automatic, does it
> mean that this member server is "already" using my DC that
> contains TS license ?

Yes. Most likely, your TS has detected your TS Licensing Server.
Otherwise, it would have complained :-)

> c) How can i determine "whether" windows 2003 member server is
> USING MY TS LICENSE server (which is a dc)

See below

> d) Is there a way to view how many "tokens" are taken by a
> particular windows 2003 member server that has terminal services
> installed ?

A Terminal Server itself doesn't use any licenses!
I retrieves a license from the Licensing Server on behalf of the
connecting client, and then passes it on to the client.

If you start the Terminal Services Licensing Tool on your DC, you
will see how many licenses of each type have been issued, and to
which client.

Vera Noest
Remote Desktop Services troubleshooting
http://ts.veranoest.net
From: IT STAFF on
A Terminal Server itself doesn't use any licenses!
I retrieves a license from the Licensing Server on behalf of the
connecting client, and then passes it on to the client.

If you start the Terminal Services Licensing Tool on your DC, you
will see how many licenses of each type have been issued, and to
which client.

==> i am NOT able to see the licenses are issued to which clients ...perhaps
i am expecting to see which clients (eg xp + computer name ) was issued a
license ?

I can only see a "summary sum" of licenses issued to Windows 2003 TS with X
number, but i cannot see EXACTLY which operating clients are using it ?

From: Vera Noest on
"IT STAFF" <jkklim(a)hotmail.com> wrote on 16 apr 2010 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

> A Terminal Server itself doesn't use any licenses!
> I retrieves a license from the Licensing Server on behalf of the
> connecting client, and then passes it on to the client.
>
> If you start the Terminal Services Licensing Tool on your DC,
> you will see how many licenses of each type have been issued,
> and to which client.
>

> ==> i am NOT able to see the licenses are issued to which
> clients ...perhaps i am expecting to see which clients (eg xp +
> computer name ) was issued a license ?
>
> I can only see a "summary sum" of licenses issued to Windows
> 2003 TS with X number, but i cannot see EXACTLY which operating
> clients are using it ?

If you select a particular license type in the left-hand pane of
the TS Licensing Manager tool, you'll see in the right-hand pane a
list of clients which have been issued this license, when it was
issued and when it will expire.