From: Adhal on
Well, that pretty much useless as it doesn't name the faulting module.

You should try Tim's suggestion of removing the disabling thumb caching (though through the menu).
And even chkdsk option as it would do no harm.

Do you have any image codecs installed? Any plugins in explorer? What image format are you trying to
view? JPEG? This sounds similar to videos (AVIs) and bad codecs, issue. I assume the folder only
contains images, no videos or audio files?

Is it a specific folder or any folder with images? If it is specific folder with specific images,
then it is most likely a bad codecs that throws a bad exception if it can't handle an image or even
a corrupt image. If you haven't installed a codecs, many applications take over thumbnail
generations for you. Application like photoshop... can't think of anything else but it is safe to
assume there are a number. ACDSee might also take over thumbnail generation though I am not sure. If
that is the case turn off thumbnail generation from that specific application (there should be an
option to turn it off).

--
Adhal
From: Tim Meddick on
Sorry, I hadn't got all day, and if I had remembered where the more normal
Windows Interface control (i.e. "View" tab of Folder Options) was, I
certainly would have quoted that instead.

But it has become simpler for me (not being able to recall ALL the
locations for setting through Windows) to just make comparisons of changes
made within the registry.

Responsibly, in my defence, I did include a standard warning to take care
and make a registry backup / System Restore point first....

Thankyou for pointing out where the Thumbnail Caching control may be found.

I will endeavour to remember it in future.

==

From: Adhal on
Sorry, I meant no offence. I was just give more advice as registry is a bit tricky for a lot of users.

--
Adhal
From: gA on
Thank you Adhal & Tim Meddick for your patience. I have checked a
few suggested things and problem still persists:
- Thumbnail Caching was already off
- problem occurs also in Filmstrip view
- W. Explorer crashes while loading slides (too slow?) or, after
loaded, if I click on one and then another before the first
finishes loading.
- some folders have videos and some have not.
Cheers,
- gA

From: Etal on
gA wrote:

> Thank you Adhal & Tim Meddick for your patience. I have checked a
> few suggested things and problem still persists:
> - Thumbnail Caching was already off
> - problem occurs also in Filmstrip view
> - W. Explorer crashes while loading slides (too slow?) or, after
> loaded, if I click on one and then another before the first
> finishes loading.
> - some folders have videos and some have not.

I don't know the underlying problem, but i would try and see if
unregistering some Explorer DLLs that makes the shell poke around
inside files can stop it from crashing. [Filename.dll] is not the
name to use, see below.

Start-button : Run... :
RegSvr32 -u Filename.dll
(click [ok] on the 'it worked' popup)
(reboot machine to be sure it takes effect)

Optionally, then re-register the DLLs again.

RegSvr32 Filename.dll

Substitute, one at a time, [Filename.dll] above with the
name of some actual DLLs listed here:

ShImgVw.dll
ShMedia.dll
WIAShExt.dll
WebVw.dll

--
Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.