From: Adhal on
Safe to say, yes it would still cause the crash. :)

--
Adhal
From: gA on
Remember this? I have now tried all suggestions and found that the
problem persists. However, I did not try the 'codec solution'.
Using a program named GSpot I found that I have 271 codecs
installed. If I want to remove them all and then install the 'light
pack codecs', how do I go about it? The list of 271 codecs showed 2
errors:
- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing:
- - Type DSH
- - Function Other
DSH 4CC YV12
DSH Friendly Name Nero Digital AVC Video Enc
DSH DirectShow CLSID {426F6A6F-FEF8-4A5B-8DDC-099E7499EF50}
REG Merit 0x00200000
-----------------------------

- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing:
- - Type DSH
- - Function Other
DSH 4CC PCM
DSH Friendly Name Arcsoft Mpeg Encoder Filter
DSH DirectShow CLSID {33AF5286-DC7B-40B3-AF6B-D5E15E9E72B7}
REG Merit 0x00200000
--------------------------

Would these have anything to do with my problem? What next?
Thank you a lot.
- gA

Adhal wrote:
> I thought it might be a codecs issue as it sounded like one. It is
> either you have missing codecs or conflicting codecs. Right now you
> won't have any video previews. If you want video previews you need to
> install correct video codecs. Google it and you should be able to find a
> solution.
>
> To lazy to google try one these codec packs (Install only one codecs pack)
> www.codecguide.com (Go for lights version)
> www.cccp-project.net
>
> If you have any other codecs installed you might have to remove them
> first.
>
> Personally, I disable video previews as it can be slow. But it's up to
> you. If you want the previews installing a package is the safest option,
> just disable Real Media and Quick Time support (NOT recommended). You
> then should be able to see previews of Divx, Xvid, mp4 and God knows
> what else.
>

> On 10/06/2010 04:32, gA wrote:
>> Thank you, Etal. Unregistering the second file (ShMedia.dll) seems to be
>> working. I have not tried the others and I am keeping my fingers crossed
>> that the problem is resolved. I appreciate your help and of those who
>> tried to help.
>> Cheers.
>> - gA
>>
>> Etal wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know the underlying problem, but i would try and see if
>>> unregistering some Explorer DLLs that makes the shell poke around
>>> inside files can stop it from crashing. [Filename.dll] is not the name
>>> to use, see below.
>>>
>>> Start-button : Run... :
>>> RegSvr32 -u Filename.dll
>>> (click [ok] on the 'it worked' popup)
>>> (reboot machine to be sure it takes effect)
>>>
>>> Optionally, then re-register the DLLs again.
>>>
>>> RegSvr32 Filename.dll
>>>

>>> Substitute, one at a time, [Filename.dll] above with the name of some
>>> actual DLLs listed here:
>>>
>>> ShImgVw.dll
>>> ShMedia.dll
>>> WIAShExt.dll