From: gA on
I have Windows XP Pro. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I try to
view pictures or move them around. The EVENT VIEWER shows problems
with Events 1000 and 1001 (details below), saying that they are
correlated. I also could not find support of any sort from
Microsoft. Could anyone help?

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1001
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: DW_BUCKET_LOG
Message: Fault bucket %1.

Thanks in advance.
- gA
From: Tim Meddick on
Try running "chkdsk.exe" from a command-prompt on the [c:] drive.

Open a command-prompt (type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box on the Start
Menu)

....and type in the following command :

CHKDSK /F C:

....it will return the message :

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

...press the [Y] key to allow chkdsk to run on your [c:] drive when the
computer next reboots.

Then reboot your computer ASAP, after the above.

Also, you could first disable Thumbnail Caching (may help) by locating the
following registry value and deleting it :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

Delete ONLY the value named : "NoThumbnailCache"

*Note - Please exercise care when editing the registry, always create a
backup and / or create a 'System Restore' point first.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: gA on
Thanks a million for the suggestion. I will execute it over the
weekend. Cheers.
- gA

From: Adhal on
Don't edit the registry manually if you don't know how to do it. You can turn off caching like this:
In explorer go to Tools->Folder Options and select the "View" tab and check "Do not cache
thumbnails" option.

As to the possible solution, Tim's suggestion could work, but, I doubt corrupt MFT or bad sectors
could stop you from dragging images. I also believe if it was corrupt file structure or bad drive,
you would see more event log errors.

You should post the Event ID 1000 details. Also what do you mean viewing images in Explorer?
"Thumbnails" view, "Film Strip" or maybe when you click on the file to open it up?

--
Adhal
From: gA on
Thanks, Adhal. Here are the details:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 6/6/2010
Time: 4:36:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: GIOVANNI-96AD15
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting
module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x04909290.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
0028: 30 30 2e 35 35 31 32 20 00.5512
0030: 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f in unkno
0038: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 wn 0.0.0
0040: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
0048: 66 73 65 74 20 30 34 39 fset 049
0050: 30 39 32 39 30 0d 0a 09290..

I have not performed any solutions, yet. This crash occurred while
opening the folder of photos in Thumbnails View, before clicking on
any file.
- gA