From: Jeff on
Hi,

My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not
enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated
1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
make it "normal" again?

I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to
my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better,
but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly
at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.

Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new install?

Thanks.
From: John John - MVP on
Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
> seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not
> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
> make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to
> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better,
> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly
> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new install?
>
> Thanks.

What is DCPS?

Create a Restore Point then reboot the machine and immediately restore
to the point that you created earlier. Does this improve things?

John
From: Daave on
Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb.
> This seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that
> there is not enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging
> file and reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this
> file to make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something
> happened to my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed
> working alot better, but there is still this issue, and I guess this
> is why my system works slowly at times and after awhile the DCPS take
> up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new
> install?
>
> Thanks.

I just looked at mine; it's about 6MB. I wonder why yours is so large.
What is the malware status of your PC?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space do you have on it?

What was wrong with your PC that necessitated a Repair Install? How is
the performance now?

What does "the DCPS" refer to?

Perhaps NTREGOPT can help you with the size of the registry:

From: Jose on
On Dec 12, 6:26 am, Jeff <J...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My windows/system32/config/system file is huge -- the order of 200mb. This
> seems a bit unusual, and I did get some popups on startup that there is not
> enough room for the registry. I cleared out the paging file and reallocated
> 1.5*2gb (the size of my memory). Anyway, what can I do about this file to
> make it "normal" again?
>
> I will state that I am after a repair install because something happened to
> my system and I needed to repair. Now things are indeed working alot better,
> but there is still this issue, and I guess this is why my system works slowly
> at times and after awhile the DCPS take up alot of the cpu time.
>
> Is there something I can do, or am I doomed to format and make a new install?
>
> Thanks.

What did the popup messages say exactly and do they happen every time
you reboot? Something like:

System has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the
registry.

Do you mean DPCs, and if yes how did you determine that? High DPCs
are fun to diagnose.

Do you have an NVIDIA video card installed?

What was the something that happened to your system that prompted a
Repair Install?

How did you clean out the paging file? Unless you know more about
managing memory than XP, you should set your paging file to System
managed size.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
From: db on
that folder you mentioned is not a
file.

--