From: 123Jim on

"DINESH4033" <DINESH4033.4dfmlb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> ok guys there is an option in last known good configuration called tune
> up back up i select it for once it seemed as if it reset my xp ,but at
> login screen all black

So now try booting to safe mode .... ?

From: Twayne on
In news:DINESH4033.4dfmlb(a)DoNotSpam.com,
DINESH4033 <DINESH4033.4dfmlb(a)DoNotSpam.com> typed:
> ok guys there is an option in last known good configuration
> called tune up back up i select it for once it seemed as if
> it reset my xp ,but at login screen all black

If you can't boot or get past the blank screen, how did you make the above
setting?

From: DINESH4033 on

Through Vista

--
DINESH4033
DINESH4033's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239100.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: John John - MVP on
DINESH4033 wrote:
> HEY GUYS WHEN I HIT Ctrl+Alt+Delete NOTHING HAPPENS LIKE IF SYSTEM IS
> NOT RESPONDING TO ME AND LEAVES BLACK SCREEN

You can repair this via your Vista installation.

From the Vista installation access the \WINDOWS\system32\config folder
on the Windows XP drive and rename the following files (or delete/move
the files to another folder):

DEFAULT to DEFAULT.old
SECURITY to SECURITY.old
SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.old
SYSTEM to SYSTEM.old
SAM to SAM.old

Access the System Volume Information on the Windows XP drive and open
one of the Snapshot folders with a date just *prior* to when you made
the changes. The Snapshot folders are inside the restore {GUID} folders
named with different {GUID}s such as
"_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}".

From the Snapshot folder, copy the following files to the
\WINDOWS\system32\config folder:

* _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
* _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
* _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
* _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
* _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

Rename the files that you just copied to the \WINDOWS\system32\config
folder as follows:

* Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
* Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
* Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
* Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
* Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Reboot the machine to your Windows XP installation and do a System
Restore to a date just prior to when you made the changes.

The above instructions are adapted from the following:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

The whole purpose of that article is to copy files from a Snapshot
folder to the System32\Config folder and then do a proper system
restore. Being that you can access the drive in an alternate manner you
don't need to do all the steps there, basically you can just skip right
on to *Part Two* and copy the files directly to the System32\Config
folder then ignore Part Three and just boot the Windows installation and
skip to Part Four.

This may be helpful:

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

John