From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
YW & thanks for your feedback.

Please read & heed:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

From: Rick on
After a couple of hours trying to figure out how to exclude files or folders
from a virus scan, I contacted Norton for help. They informed me the Norton
360 does not have that option. I am going to switch to a different AV
vendor, as I believe Norton is the source of my errors. Can you recommend a
prefered AV software? Norton has agreed to give me a full refund.

From: Alias on

I recommend and use Avast. It's free and can be gotten at www.avast.com

Alias

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Wise choise IMHO!

I can recommend NOD32 and Kaspersky (anti-virus only, not the suites). If
cost is a factor, I can recommend Avira AntiVir (free): www.free-av.com/

HOW TO fully remove N360 from your machine & replace it:

=> NB: Do NOT install your new AV app until you've done #4 thru #7
below!!

1. Download the installer for your new anti-virus application, saving it to
your desktop.

2. Save this removal tool to your desktop, too:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

3. Physically disconnect the machine from the internet.

4. Uninstall N360, LiveUpdate, and any Norton Add-ons via Add/Remove
Programs.

5. Run the removal tool (#2 above).

6. Reboot.

7. Make absolutely certain that the Windows Firewall is enabled.

8. Reconnect the machine to the internet.

=> NB: Don't do anything else online until you've got your new AV app
installed and its definitions fully updated!

9. Run the installer for your new AV app (#1 above); complete any
Registration process to validate the install (save your Product ID!);
manually update your new AV app to the latest definitions.

=> NB: Your anti-virus application should be configured to seek and
install updates automatically and daily at a time when the machine is
usually running and connected to the internet. It should also be configured
to run a full system scan a few minutes after seeking/installing updates,
also daily. Anything less is simply insufficient these days. Don't forget