From: Frai on
Hello all,

I am trying to make a decision about what widget to include in a new
project for source code edition: wxStEdit or wxScintilla.

As far as I understood, wxStEdit is a wrapper around wxScintilla, so I
guess it includes all its functionality plus some more. If this is the
case, why does wxScintilla exist? The fact that Otto Wyss participated
as author in both of them makes me even more confused. I would not
maintain two packages if one is just an improved version of the other
one.

What are the considerations I should take into account when deciding
what of those packages to use?

Thanks.

PD: I am compiling with Cygwin under Windows.

From: "John Labenski" on
On 25 Oct 2006 13:50:07 -0700, Frai <maybetooparanoid(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to make a decision about what widget to include in a new
> project for source code edition: wxStEdit or wxScintilla.

wxScintilla is the "same" as wxWidget's contrib/stc the
wxStyledTextCtrl which are both wrappers around the Scintilla text
widget.

I believe that wxScintilla was created to be a little more updated to
the most recent version of Scintilla since the wxStyledTextCtrl has to
maintain the same public API for the life of the wxWidgets minor
version number. (eg. 2.6.x)

> As far as I understood, wxStEdit is a wrapper around wxScintilla, so I

It could be, but it is currently only for the wxStyledTextCtrl. It
would need some ifdefs and perhaps typdefs to make it work for both.

> guess it includes all its functionality plus some more. If this is the
> case, why does wxScintilla exist? The fact that Otto Wyss participated

wxStEdit includes quite a lot more functionality than
wxScintilla/wxStyledTextCtrl. If the two were mixed together some
people might call it bloat if all they wanted was the editor widget.

> as author in both of them makes me even more confused. I would not
> maintain two packages if one is just an improved version of the other
> one.

Otto had written a nice editor and had a variety of useful code. I
needed an editor to embed as a widget in a project so I copied some of
it. I then needed an editor in another project, so I decided to pull
out the editor into wxStEdit as a reusable editor library. The sample
program is just for grins, but I hope that you find that it works very
nicely and shows all the features of the wxStEdit library.

> What are the considerations I should take into account when deciding
> what of those packages to use?

Try the wxStEdit sample program, if you like what you see, menus,
preferences dialogs, find/replace, etc... then the wxStEdit library in
conjunction with wxStyledTextCtrl is for you. If you want just a
basic editor (like the wxTextCtrl) then use either wxScintilla or
wxStyledTextCtrl and add your own enhancements.

> PD: I am compiling with Cygwin under Windows.

This should hopefully work for wxStEdit. Though I am ironing out some
bugs with configure right now for linux. I will make another release
after some testing.

Regards,
John Labenski

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Helio.Huete on
Hi all.

I'm having a problem while linking the sample provided with wxStEdit
using cygwin. I have used configure & make and everything works fine
(libwx_mswd_stedit-2.6.a and wxstedit_wxstedit.o have been generated)
but when the sample (wxstedit.exe) is being linked...

g++ -o samples/stedit/wxstedit.exe wxstedit_wxstedit.o (...)
/usr/local/lib/libwx_mswd_stc-2.6.a (...)

.... g++ displais the following error message:

/usr/local/lib/libwx_mswd_stc-2.6.a: No such file or directory

I supose that this library is the one that is generated when making
wxStyledTextCtrl but the one I have is "libwx_msw_stc-2.6.dll.a"

Can you help me??

Thank you very much!!

From: "John Labenski" on
On 27 Oct 2006 11:18:44 -0700, Helio.Huete(a)gmail.com
<Helio.Huete(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem while linking the sample provided with wxStEdit
> using cygwin. I have used configure & make and everything works fine
> (libwx_mswd_stedit-2.6.a and wxstedit_wxstedit.o have been generated)
> but when the sample (wxstedit.exe) is being linked...
>
> g++ -o samples/stedit/wxstedit.exe wxstedit_wxstedit.o (...)
> /usr/local/lib/libwx_mswd_stc-2.6.a (...)
>
> ... g++ displais the following error message:
>
> /usr/local/lib/libwx_mswd_stc-2.6.a: No such file or directory
>
> I supose that this library is the one that is generated when making
> wxStyledTextCtrl but the one I have is "libwx_msw_stc-2.6.dll.a"

Humm, that is strange, wxStEdit's configure gets the names for the
libs from the wx-config script, what does 'wx-config --libs stc' give
you for a name. I'm guessing it's a problem with wxWidgets build since
libXXX.dll.a doesn't seem right to me, it's either a dynamic lib *.dll
or a static lib *.a, but not both.

In any case, just to get you going, just edit the wxStEdit Makefile or
copy or create a symbolic link to the lib name that wxStEdit wants for
now.

By the way, I just released ver 1.2.4 of wxStEdit to fix some
configure problems, but not the one you're having.

From: Helio.Huete on
You are right, John. It was an wxWidgets instalation problem.
Everything is working fine now.
Thank you very much!!!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: wxNavigationKey + wxTextCtrl 2.7.1
Next: wxODBC?