From: rickman on
On Jul 4, 5:18 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Avnet is sole disti for Xilinx, now lets see what Avnet says:
>
> searching for Spartan-6
> all items are no stock, with notice factory leadtime 16 weeks
> but some items have extra note, "stock in asia"
> good this means there is stock?
> but what does the "stock in asia" link do?
>
> it opens a popup window saying: no stock,
> factory leadtime 143 weeks!
>
> 143 weeks leadtime on spartan-6?
>
> should we all smile or cry?
>
> Antti

What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts? Or how about Altera or
Lattice parts? Why look for trouble?

Rick
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
rickman <gnuarm(a)gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts? Or how about Altera or
> Lattice parts? Why look for trouble?

I believe the lead time for Spartan 5, as with Spartan 4, is
much longer, likely approaching infinity.

Spartan 6 does have some interesting new features previously
only in Virtex devices.

-- glen
From: maxascent on
I think the problem is that if people want the very latest and greatest
tech they need to put up with long lead times and bugs in the development
software. Personally I would wait until these things are resolved and just
use a slightly older techology.

Jon

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Michael S on
On Jul 5, 2:37 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts?

Don't you mean Spartan 3E?

> Or how about Altera or
> Lattice parts?  Why look for trouble?
>
> Rick

Don't know about Lattice.

As to Altera, Spartan 6 has many features not available in Cyclone2/3.
Lead time for Cyclone IV is probably not much shorter than for Spartan
6. Also, Spartan 6 is both build on more modern silicon process and
has more advanced LUT architecture than even Cyclone IV, so, in
theory, it should be faster.
Of course, there is Arria II GX that easily matches (and beats)
Spartan 6 feature4feature and MHz4Mhz. It is even sort of available,
at least some parts. However, Arria II GX is more like mid-cost device
rather than low-cost.

From: Michael S on
On Jul 5, 12:49 pm, "maxascent"
<maxascent(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think the problem is that if people want the very latest and greatest
> tech they need to put up with long lead times and bugs in the development
> software. Personally I would wait until these things are resolved and just
> use a slightly older techology.
>
> Jon

> Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com

Around 10/2009 we were forced by our customer to work with Stratix IV
GX. What a nightmare! Until Quartus9.1 SP1 pretty much nothing worked
as expected. Were we starting the same project around 03/2010 it would
be walk in the park.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Energy Saving Tips