From: Gabor on
On Jul 5, 6:57 am, Michael S <already5cho...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2:37 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts?
>
> Don't you mean Spartan 3E?
>
> > Or how about Altera or
> > Lattice parts?  Why look for trouble?
>
> > Rick
>
> Don't know about Lattice.
>
> As to Altera, Spartan 6 has many features not available in Cyclone2/3.
> Lead time for Cyclone IV is probably not much shorter than for Spartan
> 6. Also, Spartan 6 is both build on more modern silicon process and
> has more advanced LUT architecture than even Cyclone IV, so, in
> theory, it should be faster.
> Of course, there is Arria II GX that easily matches (and beats)
> Spartan 6 feature4feature and MHz4Mhz. It is even sort of available,
> at least some parts. However, Arria II GX is more like mid-cost device
> rather than low-cost.

Lattice has a policy of build first and then announce. It makes
customers
much happier. It also occasionally blindsides the competition. They
may
not have all sizes and footprints of a new series when announced, but
you can be sure that SOME silicon is available, not just smoke and
mirrors.
From: rickman on
On Jul 5, 6:57 am, Michael S <already5cho...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2:37 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts?
>
> Don't you mean Spartan 3E?
>
> > Or how about Altera or
> > Lattice parts? Why look for trouble?
>
> > Rick
>
> Don't know about Lattice.
>
> As to Altera, Spartan 6 has many features not available in Cyclone2/3.
> Lead time for Cyclone IV is probably not much shorter than for Spartan
> 6. Also, Spartan 6 is both build on more modern silicon process and
> has more advanced LUT architecture than even Cyclone IV, so, in
> theory, it should be faster.
> Of course, there is Arria II GX that easily matches (and beats)
> Spartan 6 feature4feature and MHz4Mhz. It is even sort of available,
> at least some parts. However, Arria II GX is more like mid-cost device
> rather than low-cost.

Yeah, right... In theory, theory and practice are the same. In
practice, they differ considerably. I have found that other than
application specific features like SERDES or MACs, I don't see a real
advantage for them. Sure they may let me use the next size smaller
device and the newer parts in finer pitch geometries "should" save me
money, but if I can't get the parts I lose much more money than I
"lose" using a less advanced device. As to the speed, I am finding
that the speed increases of newer parts are minimal and I haven't had
a design that pushed the device speeds in over five years. Of course
that depends entirely on the design being developed.

I can't use any part, no matter how good it is, if I can't get it.
Production needs beat design requirements any day.

Rick
From: Mike Harrison on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:11:22 -0700 (PDT), rickman <gnuarm(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 5, 6:57 am, Michael S <already5cho...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 2:37 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > What's the lead time for Spartan 5 parts?
>>
>> Don't you mean Spartan 3E?
>>
>> > Or how about Altera or
>> > Lattice parts? Why look for trouble?
>>
>> > Rick
>>
>> Don't know about Lattice.
>>
>> As to Altera, Spartan 6 has many features not available in Cyclone2/3.
>> Lead time for Cyclone IV is probably not much shorter than for Spartan
>> 6. Also, Spartan 6 is both build on more modern silicon process and
>> has more advanced LUT architecture than even Cyclone IV, so, in
>> theory, it should be faster.
>> Of course, there is Arria II GX that easily matches (and beats)
>> Spartan 6 feature4feature and MHz4Mhz. It is even sort of available,
>> at least some parts. However, Arria II GX is more like mid-cost device
>> rather than low-cost.
>
>Yeah, right... In theory, theory and practice are the same. In
>practice, they differ considerably. I have found that other than
>application specific features like SERDES or MACs, I don't see a real
>advantage for them. Sure they may let me use the next size smaller
>device and the newer parts in finer pitch geometries "should" save me
>money, but if I can't get the parts I lose much more money than I
>"lose" using a less advanced device. As to the speed, I am finding
>that the speed increases of newer parts are minimal and I haven't had
>a design that pushed the device speeds in over five years. Of course
>that depends entirely on the design being developed.
>
>I can't use any part, no matter how good it is, if I can't get it.
>Production needs beat design requirements any day.
>
>Rick

And once a company gets a reputation for announcing vapourware, nobody will even bother loooking at
any new products they may announce.
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Mike Harrison <mike(a)whitewing.co.uk> wrote:

> And once a company gets a reputation for announcing vapourware,
> nobody will even bother loooking at
> any new products they may announce.

You overestimate the ability of people to learn from the past. With each new
announcment sales people will announce that they learned from the past and
everything is better now, and users will gladly believe them.

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Morten Leikvoll on

"Frank Buss" <fb(a)frank-buss.de> wrote in message
> Switch to Altera. I've never heard of delivery problems for the Cyclone 2,
> which a customer is still using for a product which I helped to program.
> Even for the latest Cyclone 4 there are already some chips available in
> the
> Altera online shop. For the Cyclone 3 device there are hundreds of each
> type in stock. Digikey, Farnell and other distributors have it in stock,
> too.

We get 26 weeks now om Stratix III (actually this was a few weeks ago)... I
hope its temporary.. Supplier is whinig and doing the best they can they
claim.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Energy Saving Tips