From: John Drescher on
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> in smb.conf
>
>        wins support = Yes
>
> Don't set
>            wins server = ....
>

> I don't think the nsswitch.conf is an issue-  it seems like the client has
> trouble finding the server.  Are you using dhcp?  If so, the DHCP server
> (even a unix one) should be able to assign WINS.   If you are not using
> dhcp, or if your dhcp server can not assign wins, you can statically set it
> on the XP client.

Is the WINS server setup in the XP client?

John
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> in smb.conf
>
> wins support = Yes
>
> Don't set
> wins server = ....
>

> I don't think the nsswitch.conf is an issue- it seems like the client has
> trouble finding the server. Are you using dhcp? If so, the DHCP server
> (even a unix one) should be able to assign WINS. If you are not using
> dhcp, or if your dhcp server can not assign wins, you can statically set it
> on the XP client.
>
> wins server is not specified in smb.conf. I'm using DHCP but have never
specified a wins server in the config. I added it explicitly to one client
and retesting resulting in no change to the issue.

However, I noticed that wbinfo -u|g doesn't return anything, and that seems
symptomatic of the problem at the very least. I have not determined why
winbind doesn't work correctly, there isn't anything in my config that
suggests it's broken, yes?

Matt

> On 06/22/2010 04:24 PM, delpheye wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Gaiseric Vandal <
>> gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com <mailto:gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/22/2010 01:55 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>
>> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to
>> \\domain-fs\business
>> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is
>> no longer available
>> This connection has not been restored."
>>

>> Looks like a browsing problem to me. Try to reconnect using ip
>> address
>> instead of name.
>>
>> John
>>

>> Are you using WINS? I find that makes a lot of issues go away.
>>

>> I have wins support enabled in Samba and the following lines in
>> nsswitch.conf:
>>
>> debug 1
>>
>> passwd: files ldap
>> shadow: files ldap
>> group: files ldap
>> hosts: files wins dns
>> bootparams: files
>> ethers: files
>> netmasks: files
>> networks: files
>> protocols: files
>> rpc: files
>> services: files
>> netgroup: files ldap
>> publickey: files
>> automount: files ldap
>> aliases: files
>>
>> Is that all there is to enabling WINS?
>>
>> -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read
>> the
>> instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

Winbindd isn't the issue for this. Run some nbtstats on the XP boxes:

command prompt:

nbstat -n
nbstat -r
nbstat -c

After a reboot, and connect failure, do so. Then try nbstat -RR and
try net drive connections.

Very peculiar problem you're having.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM, <tms3(a)tms3.com> wrote:

> [...]

nbtstat -n:

Local Area Connection:
Node IPAddress: [10.0.2.15] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
JUPITER-VM <00> UNIQUE Registered
JUPITER-VM <20> UNIQUE Registered
DOMAIN.COM <00> GROUP Registered

nbtstat -r:

nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics

Resolved By Broadcast = 66
Resolved By Name Server = 0

Registered By Broadcast = 3
Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
DOMAIN.COM <1C>
DOMAIN-FS
DOMAIN.COM <1C>
DOMAIN.COM <1C>
DOMAIN-FS
DOMAIN.COM <1C>

nbtstat -RR:

The NetBIOS names registered by this computer have been refreshed.

net use y: \\domain-fs\business
Enter the user name for 'domain-fs': username
Enter the password for domain-fs: xxxxxx
System error 64 has occurred.

The specified network name is no longer available.

> Matt
>

> On 06/22/2010 04:24 PM, delpheye wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Gaiseric Vandal <
> gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com <mailto:gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On 06/22/2010 01:55 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>
> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to
> \\domain-fs\business
> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is
> no longer available
> This connection has not been restored."
>

> Looks like a browsing problem to me. Try to reconnect using ip
> address
> instead of name.
>
> John
>

> Are you using WINS? I find that makes a lot of issues go away.
>

> I have wins support enabled in Samba and the following lines in
> nsswitch.conf:
>
> debug 1
>
> passwd: files ldap
> shadow: files ldap
> group: files ldap
> hosts: files wins dns
> bootparams: files
> ethers: files
> netmasks: files
> networks: files
> protocols: files
> rpc: files
> services: files
> netgroup: files ldap
> publickey: files
> automount: files ldap
> aliases: files
>
> Is that all there is to enabling WINS?
>

> -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read
> the

SNIP

> NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
> DOMAIN.COM <1C>
> DOMAIN-FS
> DOMAIN.COM <1C>
> DOMAIN.COM <1C>
> DOMAIN-FS
> DOMAIN.COM <1C>

DOMAIN.COM is a bad netbios name. I suggest something with 8 letters
or numbers. Samba 3.x does not use FQDN's.