From: Gaiseric Vandal on
Which samba version?

Are these XP Pro or XP Home machines. If XP Pro, have you tried joining
the machine to the domain?

When you map a drive letter to a samba share from XP, are you using
"LocalPC\yourname" or "Domain\Yourname" when specifying credentials?

Are you mapping the drive with Windows explorer or the "net" command?

On 06/22/2010 07:45 AM, delpheye wrote:
> I currently have several fresh installs of XP that will connect to shares,
> but will not reconnect after a workstation reboot. These are workstations
> that are not joined to the domain. Only accessing shares from a local
> profile, but using the same user/pass to login as to connect to Samba. I
> get various errors at that point.
>
> Upon reboot, attempting to access the share generates:
>
> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\domain-fs\business
> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is no longer available
> This connection has not been restored."
>
> At which point, attempting to re-map the drive results in an authentication
> window, but no correct user/pass is accepted. If I restart Samba, then the
> share is mapped using the workstations login credentials.
>
> Logging is set to 3 now, but I'm not even sure where to look. For some
> reason, restarting the daemon allows authentication to pass from clientA to
> Samba, but clientB is able to access the share at the same time(and vice
> versa after clientB has been rebooted.)
>

> My smb.conf is here: http://pastebin.ca/1888385
>
> What could be causing this behavior?
>
> Thanks,

> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\domain-fs\business
> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is no longer available
> This connection has not been restored."

Looks like a browsing problem to me. Try to reconnect using ip address
instead of name.

John
On 06/22/2010 01:55 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\domain-fs\business
>> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is no longer available
>> This connection has not been restored."
>>

> Looks like a browsing problem to me. Try to reconnect using ip address
> instead of name.
>
> John

Are you using WINS? I find that makes a lot of issues go away.
The "the semaphore timeout has expired" seems pretty significant. I bet
it is related to the problem you have with your non-domain machines.

I would google it. In fact I did- one post mentioned wins. Another
post mentioned digital signing - which should NOT be an issue with XP
and current Samba versions.

On 06/22/2010 04:21 PM, delpheye wrote:
> My apologies for not including this information previously. I'm
> running CentOS 5.5 on Samba 3.3.8-0.52 and the machines are all XP
> Pro. Joining the machine to the domain is successful sporadically,
> but once the machine is joined, upon reboot and profile loading, it
> returns "the semaphore timeout has expired" and loads a temporary
> local profile.
>
> I'm mapping the drives from My Computer and when it's working,
> credentials don't have to be specified because they're the same as the
> user's desktop login. However, when it fails and I'm prompted for
> login info, specifying domain\username or just username produces the
> same results. According to samba and ldap logs, these credentials are
> never passed to the server at that time.
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
> <gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com <mailto:gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Which samba version?
>
> Are these XP Pro or XP Home machines. If XP Pro, have you tried
> joining the machine to the domain?
>
> When you map a drive letter to a samba share from XP, are you
> using "LocalPC\yourname" or "Domain\Yourname" when specifying
> credentials?
>
> Are you mapping the drive with Windows explorer or the "net" command?
>

> On 06/22/2010 07:45 AM, delpheye wrote:
>
> I currently have several fresh installs of XP that will
> connect to shares,
> but will not reconnect after a workstation reboot. These are
> workstations
> that are not joined to the domain. Only accessing shares from
> a local
> profile, but using the same user/pass to login as to connect
> to Samba. I
> get various errors at that point.
>
> Upon reboot, attempting to access the share generates:
>
> "An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\domain-fs\business
> Microsoft Windows Network: The specified network name is no
> longer available
> This connection has not been restored."
>
> At which point, attempting to re-map the drive results in an
> authentication
> window, but no correct user/pass is accepted. If I restart
> Samba, then the
> share is mapped using the workstations login credentials.
>
> Logging is set to 3 now, but I'm not even sure where to look.
> For some
> reason, restarting the daemon allows authentication to pass
> from clientA to
> Samba, but clientB is able to access the share at the same
> time(and vice
> versa after clientB has been rebooted.)
>

> My smb.conf is here: http://pastebin.ca/1888385
>
> What could be causing this behavior?
>
> Thanks,

in smb.conf

wins support = Yes

Don't set
wins server = ....

I don't think the nsswitch.conf is an issue- it seems like the client
has trouble finding the server. Are you using dhcp? If so, the DHCP
server (even a unix one) should be able to assign WINS. If you are not
using dhcp, or if your dhcp server can not assign wins, you can
statically set it on the XP client.