From: Jim on

--
My xp pro dsl computer was running extremely slow so I when tothe hard
drive, right clicked chose properties/tools/ and then checked the boxes to
fix files/errors on start up -rebooted....and it went thru the process of
checking the 5 steps....however, after it did that - it just stayed there -
so I rebooted - now - it continues to go to the check screen - and I
canceled the disk checking - however, that just hangs - if I press the
reboot button (soft or hard) nothing happens - it won't do anything- I've
pressed escape ect..nothing happens - so I have to manually pull the
plug...yikes! Then next time I turn it on it gives me the screen with error
" STOP and the error # is 0x00000071 (0x00000000 000000000 0x00000000
0x00000000)

then I have to reboot and then I'm back at the checking file system screen
again ... I've tried to reboot from cd - but it seems to bypass that ...I've
also gotten the screen about windows not shutting down properly and to
choose which way I want to reboot - safe mode ect...however, the up and down
keys on my computer don't do anything to change the process and so it starts
windows normally - I've also tried hitting the f8 key to boot in safe mode -
but it doesn't do anything either.

any helpwould GREATLY be appreciated - I've been working on it for 5 hours
now ... andhave no clue where to go from here. I'm working from my husband's
computer right now.

thanks!

Pam

From: Ron Martell on
"Jim" <hayshakerjim(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>My xp pro dsl computer was running extremely slow so I when tothe hard
>drive, right clicked chose properties/tools/ and then checked the boxes to
>fix files/errors on start up -rebooted....and it went thru the process of
>checking the 5 steps....however, after it did that - it just stayed there -
>so I rebooted - now - it continues to go to the check screen - and I
>canceled the disk checking - however, that just hangs - if I press the
>reboot button (soft or hard) nothing happens - it won't do anything- I've
>pressed escape ect..nothing happens - so I have to manually pull the
>plug...yikes! Then next time I turn it on it gives me the screen with error
>" STOP and the error # is 0x00000071 (0x00000000 000000000 0x00000000
>0x00000000)
>
>then I have to reboot and then I'm back at the checking file system screen
>again ... I've tried to reboot from cd - but it seems to bypass that ...I've
>also gotten the screen about windows not shutting down properly and to
>choose which way I want to reboot - safe mode ect...however, the up and down
>keys on my computer don't do anything to change the process and so it starts
>windows normally - I've also tried hitting the f8 key to boot in safe mode -
>but it doesn't do anything either.
>
>any helpwould GREATLY be appreciated - I've been working on it for 5 hours
>now ... andhave no clue where to go from here. I'm working from my husband's
>computer right now.
>
>thanks!
>
>Pam

The name of your error is SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED and it is
rather a rare beastie.

The documentation available from Microsoft for this error just
includes the name and the following comment:

"The SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check has a value of
0x00000071. This indicates that the Windows initialization failed."

And that is it. No mention of possible causes or of how to recover
from it.

Can you boot the computer into Safe Mode? To start the computer in
Safe Mode turn it on and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
as the first information of any kind shows on the screen. Keep
tapping rapidly until the Windows XP Startup Menu appears and choose
Safe Mode from the menu.

If it will start up in Safe Mode use System Restore (in Accessories -
System Tools) and choose the most recent restore point that is prior
to your hard drive cleanup attempt.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
From: Pam on
Interesting solution -

I was going to send the pc out the window tonight .. .or to the pcgod in the
am if it lasted that long ... as when I would get this screen - I could not
get out - everytime it rebooted it would go back to this screen.....and the
keyboard didn't seem to do anything (its a remote keyboard) so on a WHIM I
plugged in my husband's keyboard to my tower and rebooted - held breath and
my keyboard WORKED!!! I was able to choose SAFE MODE and then booted into
that - then rebooted normally - and wow I'm now busy backing up stuff - it's
working normally.

All this began when I have been trying to fix my fp2003 program - it all of
the sudden would not allow me to publish/use the 'localhost' - I had
uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times my IIS, fp2003 ect ect... nothing
worked - and nothing is working on that end yet - I can open fp2003 and use
my documents/mywebs - but not the localhost feature - I've got a thread a
mile long on the frontpageclient newsgroup - all to no avail at this point.

but wanted to pass my info on on the bluescreen - I'm sure I'm not out of
the woods yet - and it will probably pop up again - but at least I'll have
backed up stuff :-)

if you have any clues ideas ect - please let me know - I'd also like to know
how to clean up my registry - maybe that has too many deleted program files
floating around -

thanks
Pam

From: Ron Martell on
"Pam" <pam_staley-remove-this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>if you have any clues ideas ect - please let me know - I'd also like to know
>how to clean up my registry - maybe that has too many deleted program files
>floating around -

Don't fret about the registry status. It is just a text based
database and Windows XP does a pretty good job of housekeeping with
it.

If you have uninstalled these programs using the uninstall function
that came with that program or by using Control Panel - Add/Remve
Programs then there is rarely anything substantive left behind in the
registry, although a few orphan entries may still remain. But almost
certainly nothing that is going to interfere with the normal operation
of the computer or trigger error conditions such as the one you
reported here earlier.

From: Pam on
thank you Ron - will breathe a bit easier and not buy another 'help' program
:-) .... just wish I could figure out why all the sudden my pc is running so
slow when opening anything - mostly IE though I guess.... and of course this
stupid fp IIS problem I have

thanks again!

> "Pam" <pam_staley-remove-this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>if you have any clues ideas ect - please let me know - I'd also like to
>>know
>>how to clean up my registry - maybe that has too many deleted program
>>files
>>floating around -
>>

> Don't fret about the registry status. It is just a text based
> database and Windows XP does a pretty good job of housekeeping with
> it.
>
> If you have uninstalled these programs using the uninstall function
> that came with that program or by using Control Panel - Add/Remve
> Programs then there is rarely anything substantive left behind in the
> registry, although a few orphan entries may still remain. But almost
> certainly nothing that is going to interfere with the normal operation
> of the computer or trigger error conditions such as the one you
> reported here earlier.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: iexplore.exe
Next: unknown software exception 0x06d7363