From: Dirk Bell on
On Apr 11, 12:53 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> > i hope there weren't any shooting accidents.  anybody bring their uzi?
>
> http://www.abvolt.com/misc/compdsp2010.JPG
>
> More to follow.
>
> VLV

Any chance of getting the names of the people in the picture (left to
right)?

It would be interesting to put faces with the names.

Dirk
From: cfelton on

>>> VLV
>>
>> That's a helluva nerd patch right there. ;)
>>
>> I had a great time, it was good to see the people I'd met before again
>> and good to meet those I hadn't met before. Unfortunately, I had to
>> leave earlier than I'd have liked, but everything up to that point was
>> great.
>>
>> Much thanks to the politburo and especially to Vladimir and his family
>> for the good food and hospitality. It made for a very pleasant and
>> enjoyable event.
>>
>> Oh, and I learned a bunch of stuff, too. ;)
>>

>I agree wholeheartedly on all points. Thanks again, Vlad and friends!
>
>Grant
>
>--

Thanks to Vlad, Lena, and friends as well. The conference was well
organized and I had a great time!

Chris Felton
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

First, I want to thank everyone who came to the conference. That made
the COMP.DSP-2 gathering a lot of fun. There were interesting
presentations and discussions, and, of course, many social talks.
Special thanks to Rick Lyons for being our chairman, and Al Clark for
the great idea of having the conference.

During the next few days, conference presentations and pictures will be
published at the web site (RBJ: gun range pictures, also. The "howitzer"
of Jerry Avins was simply amazing).

Rick Lyons wrote:

>>Left to right:
>>
>>Grant Griffin, Yuriy Khapochkin, Rob Gaddi, Christopher Felton, Dale
>>Dalrymple, Maurice Givens, Al Clark, Jerry Avins, Daniel Umbach,
>>Vladimir Vassilevsky, Eric Jacobsen, Rick Lyons, Clay Turner.

There are two more members of the conference who are not in this
picture: Cale Yates, the vice chair of Kansas City IEEE, who gave the
great support to the conference, and my dear wife Lena. She is the one
who deserves the biggest credit for the organizational part.

> I say, Thanks Vlad for all your work,
> thanks to your lovely wife Lena for her
> "even more work" and her warm hospitality.
> Without you two there would not have been a
> conference at all.

It was pleasure to meet in person with such a group of nice, energetic
and highly intelligent people. The presentations were interesting and
enlightening. It is such a rewarding feeling to talk with the people who
understand every concept and formula that you are deriving.

> It was nice to meet Grant Griffin, and
> experience his calm, mild-mannered, humor
> and DSP wisdom. I was tickled to see Eric
> Jacobsen again, ...with his hearty laugh and
> his rational and tolerant opinions on signal
> processing and life in general. I enjoyed seeing
> Colonel Maurice Givens again and listening to
> his cogent insights on advanced signal processing.
> I was happy to see that Al Clark still has both
> red blood and hardcore DSP flowing in his veins.
> It was neat to meet DSP expert Dale Dalrymple.
> When I think of Dale the phrase "Renaissance man"
> comes to my mind. I enjoyed listening to Jerry
> Avins (a true "Mr. Wizard") and his stories. It was
> terrific to finally meet Clay Turner, and sit back
> and try to absorb an inkling of his brilliance,
> philosophy, and humor. And finally I met Vladimir.
> His technical expertise is well known to us all.
> I learned that Vladimir is *NOT* "Vlad the Impaler",
> but quite the opposite. He's both friendly and
> considerate, ... a sweet combination indeed!

Hm, what could be the opposite to impaling? Sure nothing good!
But anyway, I like your idea:

http://www.abvolt.com/misc/vlad_the_impaler.jpg

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Al Clark on
I can echo all the accolades made about the recent compdsp conference. Vlad
and wife Lena really pulled it off. As the chairman of the first conference,
I have a very good understanding of the work involved. Well done!

Once again, Rick Lyons stepped up and made this conference a success. He was
also a major contributor of the first one.

There is a tentative plan to combine papers from compdsp 1 & 2 into a single
site, probably hosted at Grant's dspguru site. The compdsp.com URL will be
redirected there. dspguru gets quite a few Google hits, so it might improve
our exposure. It also includes the original compdsp tricks.

compdsp.com is actually owned by Danville Signal. I grabbed it years ago when
we had some people that were causing at lot of mischief in the group. It only
became live recently.

I would encourage someone to self declare themselves chair of a compdsp 3
conference. This might be held in 2 years (instead of 6). About 1/2 of the
compdsp 2 group were also compdsp 1 alumni. I think this is a testimony in
itself to the value of the conference.

Most of us have become Internet friends over many years. It's great fun to
meet in real life. They are exactly how you think they are and yet quite
different (if that makes any sense at all).

I'm looking forward to compdsp 3.

BTW, I survived the food poisoning I got late Saturday (probably from my
motel breakfast, not the conference food). I really wanted to play with the
guns. Oh well......

Al Clark
www.danvillesignal.com

From: Rick Lyons on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Dirk Bell
<bellda2005(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On Apr 11, 12:53�am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>> > i hope there weren't any shooting accidents. �anybody bring their uzi?
>>
>> http://www.abvolt.com/misc/compdsp2010.JPG
>>
>> More to follow.
>>
>> VLV
>
>Any chance of getting the names of the people in the picture (left to
>right)?
>
>It would be interesting to put faces with the names.
>
>Dirk
Hi Dirk,
Vladimir posted that info earlier in this
thread. But here it is again.

Left -to- right:

Grant Griffin, Yuriy Khapochkin, Rob Gaddi, Christopher Felton, Dale
Dalrymple, Maurice Givens, Al Clark, Jerry Avins, Daniel Umbach,
Vladimir Vassilevsky, Eric Jacobsen, Rick Lyons, Clay Turner.

See Ya',
[-Rick-]