From: robert bristow-johnson on

i hope there weren't any shooting accidents. anybody bring their uzi?

r b-j
From: Grant Griffin on
robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> i hope there weren't any shooting accidents. anybody bring their uzi?
>
> r b-j

Hi r,

I am happy to report that after a full day of prentations yesterday, not
a single presenter was shot - not even me. I had some concern about
that, of course, since the title of my presentation was "Life Without
Matlab: DSP System Design and Analysis on the Cheap"; I had worried that
my suggestion that DSP life could be lived without Matlab would arouse a
certain negative sort of response from the audience. So, naturally,
when no firearms appeared I could only assume that they had decided to
go light on me, and were about to reveal the pitchforks and torches
hidden under the tables.

Happily, though, I actually suffered no physical danger whatsoever. On
the contrary: the audience seemed positively warm to my point. I think
the highlight of my presentation was when I revealed the quotation I
received from The Mathworks last week for Matlab and a number of related
package that totaled $53,524.00. Around here, one can buy a very nice
trailer home for that - or at least a not-so-great Porsche. That really
wasn't as bad as it sounds, though, because they only quoted me $24 for
shipping; I would have paid much more than that for the trailer home or
Porsche.

More later.

Grant

Grant R. Griffin
Publisher of dspGuru http://www.dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation http://www.iowegian.com
See http://www.iowegian.com/img/contact.gif for e-mail address
From: Randy Yates on
Grant Griffin <nobody(a)example.com> writes:
> [...] Matlab and a number of related package that totaled $53,524.00.

Grant, have you tried GNU Octave - it's a lot cheaper...

Seriously, while it certainly can't boast full functionality and
compatibility with all Matlab's toolboxes, it does pack quite a good
punch:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php
--
Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
Digital Signal Labs % she does the things you do,
From: Grant Griffin on
Randy Yates wrote:
> Grant Griffin <nobody(a)example.com> writes:
>> [...] Matlab and a number of related package that totaled $53,524.00.
>
> Grant, have you tried GNU Octave - it's a lot cheaper...
>
> Seriously, while it certainly can't boast full functionality and
> compatibility with all Matlab's toolboxes, it does pack quite a good
> punch:
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php

Hi Randy,

Sorry you and r et. al. couldn't make it to the conference. Your
suggestion about Octave is a good one. In fact, I found a page
somewhere on the Internet that shows several; see
http://dspguru.com/dsp/links/matlab-clones.

Actually, my request for a quote was mostly out of curiosity, and for my
presentation; I was pretty certain that I couldn't afford anything they
have to offer. I was wrong though - I can easily afford $24 for shipping.

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> i hope there weren't any shooting accidents. anybody bring their uzi?

http://www.abvolt.com/misc/compdsp2010.JPG

More to follow.

VLV