From: Bob I on
Anything in event viewer?

From: nass on

"mc" wrote:

> My system is running XP Pro sp2 with the latest patch that I am aware of (I
> have automatic download on for updates). This morning the following error
> message popped up during the start up:
>
> he instructions at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
> memory could not be written.
>
> Cannot seem to find that error message in the Microsoft knowledge base.
> Would appreciate any insight.
>
> Thanks.

Try System Restore to yesterday and see what these updates are by selecting
Custom Install/Download.
HTH.
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk
From: mc on
The first sign of problem was Service Control Manager with the message "The
DataSvr2 service failed to start due to the following error: The system
cannot find the file specified." After that a bunch of other services and
applications failed to start. After first reboot, same thing happened with
those services, but all applications started properly. After second reboot,
only three services failed (DataSvr2, DgiVecp, and SSPORT), everthing else
seems fine.

From: mc on
I am a bit nervous in doing a system restore. Is there another way to find
what got automatically installed?

From: nass on
System Restore will take you to the Point when the system was Stable . You
will not lose data from your Machine, but it will nuke the updates been
installed an may be causing the error!.

Open a Notepad, customize or minimize to the taskbar as you will need it
later for this step to copy the error message on it.
Open a run command and type in:
eventvwr.msc click [OK] you will get the Event viewer control Panel.
click on each of these:
Application
System
Security
Look in the right Pane/window for error message with red (X) or Yellow
exclamation mark /!\ , double click each one to get more info about the
causer.
On the Event error properties message you will see:
Up Arrow
Down arrow
Two pages
Click on the two pages to copy the error message then bring up the Notepad
you opened earlier and right click on the first line and select Paste from
the list, this will paste the error message on a Notepad.
Please don't duplicate the error message one of each kind will be sufficient.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

Please we need just the error messages with Red (X) and don't repeat the
error, just one of each kind and post them back in your next post.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us
HTH
nass
---